Infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pitched around 2pm on Friday. Was bubbling nicely Saturday morning when I looked. No bubbling this morning (Sunday) which is what prompted me to lift the lid to peek inside.

There are some larger bubbles in that pic that are characteristic of Lacto... but its too early to tell...

How well controlled is the temperature in your fermenter area? Might be the yeast is highly active due to warmer than optimal conditions, so much its kicking the Trub.

What yeast did you pitch?

Safale 05. Fermenter temp reads 72. The room it's in is maintained at 70. But it's just sitting in the room. It's not in a feel tentative chamber or anything.

Safale 05. Fermenter temp reads 72. The room it's in is maintained at 70. But it's just sitting in the room. It's not in a feel tentative chamber or anything.

59f-75f is the cleared rage for that yeast and style, so you should be ok IF it really is 70. Guess we'll find out in a few days! otherwise, shut it and leave it until your bubbler stops popping.

Lid went back on as soon as I took the photo. I see no activity in the airlock, but there's a lot of headspace in this one. I'll keep my eyes on the thermometer and make sure the room stays cool.

Thanks guys.

Lid went back on as soon as I took the photo. I see no activity in the airlock, but there's a lot of headspace in this one. I'll keep my eyes on the thermometer and make sure the room stays cool.

Thanks guys.

You're not seeing activity because your bucket isn't airtight. Your airlock sits higher than the bucket lid. The gas doesn't want to "push up" excess atmosphere, because that would require more pressure, so it will escape and the lowest exit point (i.e. the spot where it has to "push up" the least atmosphere). Don't use an airlock as a sign of fermentation. I think there are two good ways to get a gauge on fermentation - visual inspections (this works much better if you're using using a plastic or glass carboy) and taking samples. If you can look at the beer in a carboy you can tell if there is any activity and see what's going on with the yeast using a small flashlight. If you take samples you can check the gravity and also perform a sensory evaluation (smell, taste, look, etc.) that allows you to assess the quality. These are the only two "tools" I would count on as a homebrewer.

Furthermore, if you know the yeast has started working leave it alone. Once the yeast get started they are going to do there job as long as you are providing them with favorable conditions. Opening up the lid a couple of days after fermentation has begun is not going to do you any good. If you are not going to take a sample leave it alone for at least 10 days but honestly 14-21 would probably be better. If you are going to take a sample wait at least a week. Beer isn't a process that you can rush. My biggest advice to you is to trust that the yeast are doing there thing. Only open the bucket if you are planning to work with the beer (i.e. take a sample, rack to bottling bucket, secondary, etc.). If you want to look at your beer use a plastic or glass carboy :mug:

Back