Infected Oktoberfest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redcrossx76

Reaction score
Racked my Oktoberfest to secondary carboy today for lagering and when I took the lid off the primary bucket there were a few clumps of "mold" floating on top. I feel like I do a relatively good job of sanitizing with star san. Now the bucket I was using was a bottling bucket (When ordering I thought I was getting a fermenting bucket, got a bottling bucket instead.) But I have used it a couple of times prior to this without incident.

There were only like 4-5 clumps, not more than dime sized, floating on top. Definitely looked like mold. Fuzzy. The beer otherwise looked fine and there was a good, normal looking yeast cake on the bottom. Smelled a little different than by previous beers, but this is only my second lager (First was a Pilsner), and it certainly didn't smell awful. Didn't taste it.

Having read enough threads on here about "ruined" beers, I didn't panic. Just went ahead and racked. Left the "mold" and a little more beer than usual behind in the primary. Its in the fridge at 35 degrees not to be seen again until bottling day in September.

So do I have an infected/ruined beer on my hands? I am planning on ditching the bucket and buying a couple 6.5 gallon carboys anyway for future brews. I still have another bottling bucket that is clean and functional. I did take a couple pics with my cell if that would help make the diagnosis but my kid is currently playing Angry Birds and won't give it up. Will upload later if requested. Thanks.

Time will tell of that was really mold. Trust me there will be more if there was already some in there, but nothing that grows in beer can hurt you so drink it if it tastes good.

Infected?

image-220865658.jpg

Yeah that doesn't look good. You did the best you could. Hopefully you left it behind. I'd check on it in a little bit just to be sure. No sense waiting for September only to have to dump it cause it doesn't taste good. :(

Latest posts

Back