Infected (harvested) yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingston75

Reaction score
Hi all,

A while back I made a landlord clone with wyeast 1469. After neglecting to harvest from the primary, I took to collecting from the final few bottles as they were drunk, and there it sat, underneath the ale, in a sterilized jar (re-sterilized each time I opened to add more dregs) in my fridge.

After checking the jar today it's looking less than yummy - pics attached(in the image where I hold the jar up there are particles suspended in the beer solution). Do you folk think it's likely that I have to kiss this collection goodbye and better to just but a new 1469?

As a final note, the landlord clone was fermented at the wrong temp, methinks - it tasted a tad like a wheat beer. Would this have most likely become a permanent off-flavour of this yeast anyway?

Cheers! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396637562.311544.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1396637582.599457.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1396637598.043924.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1396637614.497326.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1396637631.571146.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'll try to fix this in abbreviated version.

Lot of stuff in the head space exposed to air borne infection.
Container should be able to hold total volume collected from each bottle.
Leave three ounces in each bottle, swirl up, and pour into container. Sanitize bottle mouth before pouring. Don't use a bottle someone drank from. (Pint jar for collecting from 5 bottles.)
Least chance of infection if this can be done in one session of emptying the bottles. If the collection is done over a few days use a smaller container and decant old beer from over the compacted yeast cake to add new beer and yeast.

I would not take the risk with this yeast for another batch.

IE11 giving me display page problems. This is Chrome. Hopefully Chrome will send this message.

Hi flars. Thanks for taking the trouble to write. Yeah, as I thought - you 'be confirmed my thoughts and I have indeed dumped it. It didn't look right to me. When I add the dregs from a bottle , I do sanitize first before pour after opening. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Would be best to spray sanitize with Starsan before opening the bottle. Starsan will not diminish the flavor of the beer poured.
Spray sanitize the collection jar around the lid and rim each time it is opened for a new addition of yeast beer mixture.

Latest posts

Back