inexperienced grower with a couple of questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoesterVT

Reaction score
I've read through much of the first couple of pages, but I wanted to post a picture and ask a couple of questions specific to my situation. I grew hops (cascade, nugget) last year for the first time, and was reasonably successful I think. I'm in the mountains of Virginia, and my average last frost date is the first week of May. Anyway, here's what one of my plants looked like as of yesterday evening. The bines coming up are thicker and woodier than they were last year. I thought this was a good thing, but maybe not?

WP_20170409_008.jpg

In my mind, I was going to string up my twine and let 6 to 8 of these bines get to work. But now I'm reading that I should cut all of this back? And keep cutting them back until when? Any advice on what to do next would be greatly appreciated...!

Still 2nd year so I would let them go while removing any bull shoots.

Multiple cuttings is used to hit specific training dates. Commercially it is dependent on best yield, harvest dates, variety, variety maturity and also length of growing season.

Still 2nd year so I would let them go while removing any bull shoots.

Multiple cuttings is used to hit specific training dates. Commercially it is dependent on best yield, harvest dates, variety, variety maturity and also length of growing season.

How can I identify what a "bull shoot" is?

How can I identify what a "bull shoot" is?

They will be the first flush of growth. They are hollow inside. The spacing of internodes is also longer.

From your picture, it looks like the two longest bines should be removed.

I usually gently squeeze the bines, and the ones that feel hollow I snip off.

I cut mine until the first week in May.

Might be overkill but here is a link on growing hops which I think is very useful: Great Lakes Hops

I cut all my shoots back except for two or three of the smallest growths. Hops are extremely resilient.

Where in the mountains are you? I live in the foothills in western loudoun and I'm growing hops for the first time this season.

Back