Inexpensive Source for False Bottom Perforated SS Sheet Metal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxsn0blindxx

Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00137QCH4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Only $9.72 for a 12"x12" sheet and qualifies for free shipping on orders over $25. This is the same thickness and hole size as many popular false bottoms. Of course you'll need to trim and maybe form the metal to shape, but if you have the tools and skills you can build a very inexpensive false bottom. I ended up going with a standard cooler and manifold setup, but figured I'd pass this on for anyone interested in making their own false bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure, if you put "legs" for support under the false bottom, if 22ga would be an issue or not. When I say legs, I mean a ss bolt with the sheet sandwiched between two ss nuts. I used 18 ga sheet for my false bottom for a keggle and added some supports, and it will support pretty much any grain bed. Not sure if this is a down side or not, but that sheet is it's only 12 x 12 and keggle is 15".

But at that price it might be worth a shot.

Cheers :mug:

The commercial false bottoms that list a thickness indicate 22 gauge, so this should be thicker than your standard off the shelf bottom. I was thinking of just forming a dome out of it with a hammer and then trim it round.

Not sure, if you put "legs" for support under the false bottom, if 22ga would be an issue or not. When I say legs, I mean a ss bolt with the sheet sandwiched between two ss nuts. I used 18 ga sheet for my false bottom for a keggle and added some supports, and it will support pretty much any grain bed. Not sure if this is a down side or not, but that sheet is it's only 12 x 12 and keggle is 15".

But at that price it might be worth a shot.

Cheers :mug:

Thank You for the Great idea on the legs. I have been wondering how i am going to weld some legs with out a welder.

Would you need legs on it if you were to place it in the bottom of a standard keg? The keg is 16-1/8" outside diameter & has a rounded bottom on it. Therefore all you would have to do is cut it, and drop it into the keg and it will rest on the edges of the keg. You can then put a dip tube through the middle & clamp it down with a hose clamp to keep it secured. If you put legs on it, you will probably get flow around the outside of the screen.

maybe I am missing something here.

The FBs that my LHBS sells are 12" diameter. Any wider than that and you would have to bend it to get it in the keggle, as a LOT of people cut the top to 12". They come with a copper dip tube that does exactly what TXANM described, and the shop has been selling them for years. The dip tube has a male thread adapter sweated on the pickup end, which presses down and holds the FB against the bottom of the keggle. Works fine, if set up properly.

Edit: not certain what gauge the FBs at the shop are, will try to remember to check later.

Out of stock... the prices on other similar items in their store are upwards of $30, I'm wondering whether that was a pricing error.

I picked up 3 sheets (great show as well on a side note) to save on the shipping. I am in Denver and will sale some sheets for the $9ish price they were asking on the site if anyone wants. PM me and let me know.

$50 for a 12" circle of perforated stainless is not a deal.

It is if you don't have the tools, knowledge, skill or desire to cut & drill stainless into a circle. I bought the hinged FB from him and am happy with it.

For those looking for a cheap way out, buy a SS splatter screen like the Oxo version on Amazon for $20. Just needs a bit of tinkering.

Perforated plate is manufactured by cold punching sheets of metal with an arrangement of holes of any shape and size in various patterns. There is a large variety and we only stock the more popular specifications although others are available to special order.

Perforated metals are used in a vast number of industries for sorting and screening any material from sugar and spice to sand and gravel. They are used extensively in heating and ventilating installations where they combine the practical with the ornamental.
For more please visit: http://www.perforated-wire-mesh.com/perforated-plate.asp

Perforated sheet

Back