Induction Top for Just the Decoction Step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philm63

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone using an induction cooktop for doing a decoction? I'm asking about just the decoction step, not heating the entire mash.

I'm building (still) an all electric 3-vessel HERMS system with the EBC-330 controller for my new basement brewery and was thinking that, if and when it comes time to do a decoction mash, I'll no longer have my kitchen stove top at my side for the decoction step, unless I want to walk upstairs with a warm pot of thick mash, then back downstairs with a very hot pot of thick mash, which I don't.

I'm looking at induction cooktops and a 12-qt. pot to round out my basement decoction needs - items are sitting in my Amazon cart just waiting for me to pull the trigger; I'd like to hear from some of you folks who can provide insight into this process. Again, not full mashing, but rather heating with an induction cooktop only the thick mash pulled for the decoction.

I brew 5-gallon batches and I will assume, at least at this point, that my mashes should not exceed 75% of the capacity in my tun, which is a 10-gallon kettle. If I'm going higher in gravity, I just reduce the batch size. I don't decoct a lot, in fact I've done it only once before with good success on a gas stove but again, I'm in the basement now so induction it is! At 75% of a 10-G kettle, that'd be 7.5 gallons of mash. 1/3 of that would be 2.5 gallons of mash for the decoction step. The 3-gallon pot I've selected has a 6010-clad bottom plate suitable for induction cookers and the capacity should fit the bill for now. The cooktop I'm looking at is an 1800 W unit so it'd work fine on one of the 20 A 120 V circuits I have in the basement now.

Just looking for any insight and perhaps a reality check - so if anyone is doing this and can offer some advice, I'm all ears. Does it look like this will work, or...?

I’m moving to an indoor electric system as well and was just thinking about the same thing. Can you post links of what you were looking at? I’m interested in hear how this goes for you.

Back