Induction Plates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubman

Reaction score
So I'm getting back into brewing and starting to gather equipment. I am looking at the Update International 16 qt ss brew pot for 2 1/2 gallon batches.

I am considering getting an induction plate to brew inside in Florida summers as my range is a coil electric.

What should I look for in a plate? Does the diameter of the plate have to equal or exceed the base diameter of the pot?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Look for Avantco IC3500, around $180 shipped from Webstaurant.com. You do need a 240V 20 Amp (minimum) outlet for that.
It will also allow you to do 5 gallon batches easily. I sometimes do 10 gallon ones.

No, the kettle can overhang the hot zone or even the whole unit's top surface by several inches. No-one has ever reported any problems with that. My 8 gallon kettle is 14" wide, the 15 gallon is 17" wide.

Is that Update kettle induction "ready?"

There are several threads on that unit, as well as other ones.

Look for Avantco IC3500, around $1

Is that Update kettle induction "ready?"

Thanks for the recommendation. I assume the 120v units are to small for even a 3 gal boil.
We are planning a kitchen remodel in about a year and are planning to go with a induction cook top. I was hoping i could get away with a smaller 120v unit until then.

Yes the pot is tri clad for induction use.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the recommendation. I assume the 120v units are to small for even a 3 gal boil.
We are planning a kitchen remodel in about a year and are planning to go with a induction cook top. I was hoping i could get away with a smaller 120v unit until then.

Thanks again!
I had a 120v and it boiled 3 gallons but it took about 45 mins. In other threads about induction some reported faster boil times after insulting their kettle. I’ve seen folks use a sous vide stick with induction. If you can use a dryer plug I’d look into that and then I’d get a 240v instead.

Thanks again!
1800W units should be able to boil 3-4 gallons it just takes time.

Make sure they indeed deliver 1800W, which really requires a 20A circuit (common in most modern kitchen installations):
1800W / 120V = 15A <== That kinda maxes out a regular (old fashioned) 15A circuit. UL could have a field day with that.

If you're sticking to 2.5 gallon brews, why not use your current stove top? Most large coils can handle that (~2000-3000W). Then when the new stove comes in, you're ready for the switch.

If the largest element can't quite do it, you can always split your boils over 2 pots/2 elements.

Are you doing full volume boils? A 4 gallon pot maybe a bit small, unless you top up during the boil with boiling water or wort.

All grain or extract?

Ok, got it. 240v it is.

Hmm, maybe I can get the wife to " suggest" upgrading the cook top before the remodel :ban:

Are you doing full volume boils? A 4 gallon pot maybe a bit small, unless you top up during the boil with boiling water or wort.

All grain or extract?

I am planning on doing full volume, so maybe five gallon pot would be a better choice. Now I might just have to look at the Anvil 5.5

Extract for now but have been looking at BIAB for down the road.

Thanks Again!

Last edited:
If you ever envision doing 5 gallon brews, all grain, you'd need a 10 gallon kettle.

My 8 gallon cannot hold the initial 7.5 gallons needed for 5.5 - 6 gallon all grain batches , without splashing over during the boil, so I top up with 3rd runnings as it boils off.

Now... the sheer weight of that (almost) full 8 gallon kettle on my flat top electric range (which has a ~3500W triple element) started to scare me. It also could not maintain a decent simmer, even with insulation, without leaving the lid on part ways. So after a few brews, I gave up on the stove and went with the 3500W induction burner. It does all I desire and use it for much more than just brewing. It's great for other cooking purposes, including stir frying with a cast iron wok.

With induction, the 0 lead time to heat a (small) pot of water is addictive!

If I happen to break or crack the IC3500 I just replace it. I leave the $1500 glass flat top range pretty much alone for what it is: a kitchen appliance. I may boil down some extra runnings on it, or make some sugar syrups.

One of the weaknesses of the IC3500, I've noticed, is the internal fan. It tends to "stall" after a few months to a year's of (moderate) almost daily use. I've re-lubricated it many times, but you do need to open the unit up and remove a few things to get access to it. I have not found a better, ball bearing fan to replace this with.

After 5 years of use the internal fuse blew for no apparent reason. I replaced it with a $1.50 slow blow one, and all is OK.

I have the avantco 3500 as well and can easily boil 8 gal. But if you cant get the 220v wired to it then I would think that the 1800 watt plate would be more then adequate for 2.5g batches.

I had a 120v and it boiled 3 gallons but it took about 45 mins. In other threads about induction some reported faster boil times after insulting their kettle. I’ve seen folks use a sous vide stick with induction. If you can use a dryer plug I’d look into that and then I’d get a 240v instead.
That's why I doubt many of the common household model 120V Induction plates deliver their claimed 1800W. It could well be 1500-1600W instead.
Some indeed use a heat stick (immersion coil) to help attain the boil a bit faster. Just plug into a different and GFCI protected circuit.

Insulation your kettle really helps, also on the lid. I wrap a couple layers of bubble wrap or Reflectix around my kettle and lay a thick folded over towel on the lid when heating. I still run the plate at 2700 or 3100W during the boil. A good simmer is plenty, doesn't need to be a wildly rolling boil with wort splashing out everywhere.

That's why I doubt many of the common household model 120V Induction plates deliver their claimed 1800W.
Yup, mine claimed to be 1800. I solved that by installing a 60w plug and upgraded my rig (to run 2 elements simultaneously).

Correct about the lid. Insulate it. Also, others have even given the kettle a double layer to further cut down time.

If you ever envision doing 5 gallon brews, all grain, you'd need a 10 gallon kettle.

I seriously doubt I will brew 5 gallon batches. I have in the past but at this point in my life I would rather stay with 2 1/2 extract, but i am interested in progressing to 3 gal BIAB. So your point is well taken for a larger kettle. I have been looking at 8 gal as they seem to fit both processes well.

Now... the sheer weight of that (almost) full 8 gallon kettle on my flat top electric range (which has a ~3500W triple element) started to scare me. It also could not maintain a decent simmer, even with insulation, without leaving the lid on part ways. So after a few brews, I gave up on the stove and went with the 3500W induction burner. It does all I desire and use it for much more than just brewing. It's great for other cooking purposes, including stir frying with a cast iron wok.

Excellent point also, I would not want to risk damaging a 2k cook top brewing beer. Also the portable units would give me the flexibility to move outdoors in the cooler months if I wanted.

Thank you again everyone for the helpful responses!

Latest posts

Back