Increasing strike water for adjuncts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelbymedic

Reaction score
Hey guys, grain bill will be 20 pounds and then I’m also adding 10 pounds of pumpkin into the mash. How much strike water should I use?

Last time I used 10 pounds of pumpkin I didn't add any water. I was mashing at 1.5qts per lb of grain to account for the rice hulls I added (I normally mash at 1.25qts per lb). Pumpkin is a good way to get a stuck sparge so add the hulls.

Good luck.

Last time I used 10 pounds of pumpkin I didn't add any water. I was mashing at 1.5qts per lb of grain to account for the rice hulls I added (I normally mash at 1.25qts per lb). Pumpkin is a good way to get a stuck sparge so add the hulls.

Good luck.

The absolute worst stuck sparge I’ve ever had. Took me an hour and a half to get all the wort out of it.

Another thing I learned is that pumpkin has very little flavor that boils off if you put it in your mash. Consider putting it in the boil at 5 minutes or at flame out. I did it once at flame out (before whirlpool) and it was a bit more flavorful. Again, pumpkin has very little flavor to start so you are mainly using it for mouthfeel.

So experiment, try different options.

Yea we’ll see for sure. 5 minutes left I added a bunch of fun spices so we’ll see.

Back