increasing ferm temp after primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhudson3030

Reaction score
I have a fermentation chamber set up at about 67 degrees. After the primary has finished can I remove the fermenter to an ambient temp of about 72 degrees with out having to worry about any off flavors being created do to warmer temps? The only reason I want to move it is so I can start a new batch. Thanks

You should be just fine doing that. The majority fermentation that creates the unwanted esthers and fusel alcohols at too high of a temperature will be done, and the fermentation won't be producing any additional heat to worry about things getting too hot. I think the only risk is from temperature swings at that point, so as long as the ambient is steady, you're okay.

I do this too with no issues. The pains of having only one chest freezer that doubles as a fermentation chamber.

Cheers

I raise my temps at the end of primary to help hit final gravity. From my understanding and experience, the closer to end you can get, the fewer issues with off flavors and high temps.

Back