Increasing attenuation on extract brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murika

Reaction score
My extract syrup says it is 72-75% fermentable. Nottingham I hear has around 85% attenuation.

I would like my beer to get high attenuation. Would Nottingham rather than US-05 increase my attenuation over 75%, or (as I am guessing) is that not possible as long as I use this syrup?

Thanks.

My extract syrup says it is 72-75% fermentable. Nottingham I hear has around 85% attenuation.

I would like my beer to get high attenuation. Would Nottingham rather than US-05 increase my attenuation over 75%, or (as I am guessing) is that not possible as long as I use this syrup?

Thanks.

The ingredients, in this case the extract, will stop when their fermentability limit is reached. Changing yeast strains won't really matter.

If you want, you could sub in something more fermentable, like corn sugar, for a small portion of the extract. But over all, one of the disadvantages to extract brewing is the limitation of the fermentability and the inability to manipulate that.

The ingredients, in this case the extract, will stop when their fermentability limit is reached. Changing yeast strains won't really matter.

I beg to differ. A higher attenuating yeast will generally ferment the same wort to a lower gravity. Different yeasts will convert different complex sugars. As an extreme example, 3711 is not going to stop at the same FG as S-05 or Notty in the same extract wort.

To the OP, I'm not sure S-05 or Notty will result in much difference.

I beg to differ. A higher attenuating yeast will generally ferment the same wort to a lower gravity. Different yeasts will convert different complex sugars. As an extreme example, 3711 is not going to stop at the same FG as S-05 or Notty in the same extract wort.

To the OP, I'm not sure S-05 or Notty will result in much difference.

My point is that S05 or Notty will not result in any differences because they both will attenuate about the same with those fermentables.

I didn't want to give extreme and unhelpful examples.

I said "The ingredients, in this case the extract, will stop when their fermentability limit is reached. Changing yeast strains won't really matter", which you seem to agree with.

Do a mini mash of crushed grain with your dissolved malt extract at a low mash temp (149-150F). The idea is that the enzymes from the grain will help break up the dextrines from the malt extract further and make it more fermentable.

Back