Inconsistent fermentation temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOISEpollution

Reaction score
I’m brewing an IPA using WLP002 that’s been fermenting for the last several days. My target temperature is about 62F-65F. I’ve kept it in a swamp cooler but a few times I’ve forgotten to switch out the ice packs and found the temperature sticker on the bucket reading closer to 68. Anything to worry about? What are the negative effects of temperatures fluctuating like that during fermentation?

Also, will I need to continue to maintain a lower temp during secondary or will I be able to leave it at a 74F room temp?

Your fluctuations aren't best practice, but you're probably fine. Just do the best you can. Secondary can be 4 - 10 degrees F warmer than active fermentation temp according to the Yeast book. But it seems less brewers use secondary these days. The transfer gives you an opportunity for oxidation and contamination, and most don't see any benefit.

You will be fine. The beer will turn out good, assuming your mash, boil, mash pH, hops and the whole process was OK.

Most of fermentation will take place in the first 2-3-4 days, depending on the yeast.

So I think the beer will turn out just as fine.

Try to report back when you all botlled/kegged and carbonated.

I wouldn't worry about that kind of fluctuation. When I saw the title of the thread, I figured you were going from mid 60's to mid 70's or something like that. Then I'd start to worry. A 3 degree fluctuation is probably fine.

Your fluctuations aren't best practice, but you're probably fine. Just do the best you can. Secondary can be 4 - 10 degrees F warmer than active fermentation temp according to the Yeast book. But it seems less brewers use secondary these days. The transfer gives you an opportunity for oxidation and contamination, and most don't see any benefit.

Actually most brewers do secondary when they do a yeast dump in a conical... Mostly only homebrewers with carboys and buckets dont bother these days because the effects are pretty small unless your leaving the beer to age or lager in the carboy. Even then though 2 out of the three homebrewers outside of this forum I know do still secondary..

Sometimes the exposure to a little oxygen and stirring of the beer can help, especially if you have a higher gravity beer thats stalled since this can get it fermenting again. When I run into this I keg and leave the keg sit at room temp with a pressure relief valve to allow it to dry out further.

A few degrees wount hurt if your already towards the lower end of the yeasts recommended safe temp zone but I would try to keep the yeast temp at the lower end in the first 5 days of fermentation or so when it can otherwise get out of control and produce off flavors from it. I usually ramp up my temps toward the end of fermentation to help the yeast along.

the temperature sticker on the bucket reading closer to 68. Anything to worry about? What are the negative effects of temperatures fluctuating like that during fermentation?

Also, will I need to continue to maintain a lower temp during secondary or will I be able to leave it at a 74F room temp?

This xBmt fermenting a WLP002 mild at 76F may give you some comfort. To some extent, it's more the variation than the absolute level that affects yeast, certainly English ones will throw more esters than if the temp is constant. Having said that, any effect will be pretty small in this case.

74F isn't ideal, but manageable, again protecting from fluctuations will help - have you got eg a cupboard on a north wall? Also a trick used at British beer festivals is to use evaporative cooling - cover it in a wet towel, adding a water reservoir will make it relatively low maintenance compared to using ice packs, but will still give useful temperature control.

Latest posts

Back