Inbev to buy SABMiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their greed is one thing, but it's their business practices, those things they've done to hold back or cause failure for the little guys trying to make it that burned me up. I'll be completely sober before I purchased an InBev product.

I've bought products from Miller/Coors such as Blue Moon, though I prefer not to as I'd much rather give the little guy my money or even Sam Adams as he's been awesome in his support and help for the little guys. Jim is one cool dude!

The article is a bunch of speculation that say it probably won't happen due to antitrust laws. Are they going to try? Maybe. The article doesn't have a lot of actual information just trying to get beer people to click and freak out.

The article is a bunch of speculation that say it probably won't happen due to antitrust laws. Are they going to try? Maybe. The article doesn't have a lot of actual information just trying to get beer people to click and freak out.

Agreed. Click-bait with little substance.

ALARMING HEADLINE
A couple paragraphs consisting of a mixture of speculation and reasons why the headline is bull****.

Anyone that ever had a Bass Ale 10 years ago have one lately? I have. Label said brewed in NY. I had not had one it quite a while.

First sip was missing something huge, FLAVOR. I was shocked to find the Bass I used to love had turned in to this.

Decided to contact Bass and see what may have happened. That's when I found out InBev/AB bought them. They turned a fine, fine British standard into another flavorless American light lager. Now, InBev/AB claims it's the same recipe. It isn't. Sorry guys.

I sent InBev/AB a pretty scathing email. have not gotten a reply.

I guess they figured they could increase AB sales. Since there was no difference between Bass and AB except the cost, might as well buy AB.

All the Best,
D. White

Yeah, bass ale was good when I first tried it at the old Elizabethan Club on University Circle in Cleveland when My 2nd oldest son was in for open heart surgery, some 33 years ago or so now. Looked like an old english pub with carved dark wood panelling & bar. Piano man & stand up bass playing jazz. A true classic, like Luchow's in NYC was. Anyway, the piano player heard me talking to the bartender (publican?) about what English beer would he suggest I try for my first? The piano player had only poured a small glass & had the bartender give me the rest of the bottle. That was totally freakin' awesome of him, in my mind!
But now, like several other beers/ales, one by one they're all getting cheapened. Antitrust is right. and monopolizing as well. TR must be spinning in his grave, poor fellow.

This will happen at some point. Won't say how I know, but it will. SABMiller will have to sell off their stake in the MillerCoors venture to MolsonCoors.

SABMiller is just waiting for their stock to go up again and take the offer.

InBev bought two more craft breweries within the last couple of months and those breweries at GABF were not as busy as in the past. Maybe it was the time of night I went by and maybe not.

I remember Bass when it was good. I had one earlier this year, and it was not so good.

:(

I remember Bass when it was good. I had one earlier this year, and it was not so good.

:(

Bass ale (and Sam Adams Lager) were pretty much my gateway beers in college. If find that today neither are particularly great. But, I'm wonder whether this is more a case of changing tastes/expectations and the explosion of the craftbrew industry, as opposed to the big boys buying up and changing recipes for these old classics.

By modern tastes and standards maybe they just weren't ever that great. . .

Well, fellas, looks like we're gonna be busier brewing better quality examples of our own???:mug:

I dunno... I am taking a two-week break from making beer. We'll see if I feel like getting back into it then.

In the meanwhile, I'll either be buying some new brews to try, or drying out a bit. *flips coin*

Bass ale (and Sam Adams Lager) were pretty much my gateway beers in college. If find that today neither are particularly great. But, I'm wonder whether this is more a case of changing tastes/expectations and the explosion of the craftbrew industry, as opposed to the big boys buying up and changing recipes for these old classics.

my tastes have changed over the years. I remember when SNPA was (to me at the time) a major hop bomb. I must have had a luplin threshold shift over the years.

Yeah man, I know the feeling. Flipped tails a couple times...against heads. My tastes have changed over the years, but I remember flavors & such. Still trying to nail the lagers & pilsners of the 50's-early 60's. Idk...maybe I'm just a throw-back?

Well said.

Yeah man, I know the feeling. Flipped tails a couple times...against heads. My tastes have changed over the years, but I remember flavors & such. Still trying to nail the lagers & pilsners of the 50's-early 60's. Idk...maybe I'm just a throw-back?

just don't throw out your back!

I'd imagine many will lose their jobs to increase company profits.
The local wal-mart grocery stores (which is really the only game in town) allready carry 90% BMC products.....all the more reason to support local brewery.

Just heard this. Will be interesting to see what US regulators have to say. The two companies tend to be distributed by competing companies in many markets. Will be interesting.

SABMiller will have to sell off its stake in the MillerCoors venture. That has already been discussed.

InBev bought a few more West Craft Breweries this year. Stay true and home brew.

Labatt (i.e. AB-InBev) just announced a deal to buy out one of Canada's most well-known craft breweries (Mill Street). And the march toward world domination continues.

Labatt (i.e. AB-InBev) just announced a deal to buy out one of Canada's most well-known craft breweries (Mill Street). And the march toward world domination continues.

Gah, how infuriating. Mill Street was just at a "craft brew festival" that I attended a few days ago, I believe on the very day that this deal would have went down.

Thankfully, they are not a brewery I care for very much anyway.

Read this while brewing today. Somewhere down in the article, it mentions that DogFish Head sold a minority stake to a private equity firm recently.

http://fortune.com/2015/10/10/craft-beer-sell-out/

I also saw this. It's only a 15% stake that Sam intends on buying back after expansions are made. Sounds like a good investment option to me. Other breweries should possibly look into these options instead of selling majority interest to big beer.

I also saw this. It's only a 15% stake that Sam intends on buying back after expansions are made. Sounds like a good investment option to me. Other breweries should possibly look into these options instead of selling majority interest to big beer.

I hope that's the direction it goes. If so, it's a smart play to grow.

Back