In search of Pale Ale recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to commence my 4th batch this weekend. I am looking for a good Pale Ale recipe for a beginner (i.e. extract recipe). Any suggestions?

My fav pale ales:
Belles (both two hearted and hop slam)
Ranger IPA (New Belgium)
Sierra is alright

ok, so I am confused, are you sure you don't want a IPA. the first 2 you listed are IPAs and by sierra I am guessing you mean green label sierra nevada, is that correct?

2 hearted is 100% cenntennial hops and could be a pretty simple recipe. Ranger is new and a perfect clone is not out there yet but it does list the hops as chinook, simcoe and cascade, which the later 2 are probably the finish/aroma hops which is fairly common these days, you may even want to toss in centennial and/or amarillo in there too.

Correct Humann, I did mean the green label. I also like the dogfish heads 60 and 90... but that two hearted clone looks like a good start, but it's all grain :-(

If you want to do the two-hearted clone, it'd be very easy to convert to extract. What size boil do you want to do?

(I have a good recipe for the DFH 60 minute clone, if you're interested in that).

I use a very simple SN Pale Clone.

7# LME syrup
1# Chrystal 40
1 oz Perle
3.25 oz Cascade

Add the Crystal to a grain bag and toss into 1 gallon cold water. Bring it up to 160 degrees and let it sit for 20 minutes.

Remove bag and put into strainer above kettle and pour 1 gallon water through it at 170 degrees and discard grains.

Add 2 gallons cold water and bring to boil.

Add LME - return to boil.

Add 1 oz pearle hops (60 minutes) with 1 tsp. gypsum
Add 1.25 oz cascade (15 minutes)
Add 1 oz cascade (5 minutes) with 1 tsp irish moss

Cool, strain and top off, pouring top off water through strained hops.

Target O.G. 1.052

Pitch with 1056 American Ale yeast, ferment 5-8 days.

Rack to secondary with 1 oz cascade dry hops.

Not the most technical recipe, but it's a quick and easy brew that comes out pretty darn tasty and I am a SN Pale Ale nut.

Close enough anyway: (first batch)

19135_314596399654_789424654_3351393_5008395_n.jpg

If the beers you listed are the beers you like and want to make something similar to, then you are looking for an IPA recipe, not a pale ale recipe. In that case, the two hearted clone or Yoop's DFH 60 minute clone (in her recipe dropdown below her avatar pic) are probably your best bets that are listed so far.

Pale ale is a slightly different style, with it's main distinction being that it is less hoppy than IPAs. Pale Ales you may have tried (based on the IPAs you listed) include New Belgium Mighty Arrow and Bell's Pale Ale. The Sierra Nevada beer you mentioned is a pale ale, but is hoppier than many examples of the style.

Back