in general, should secondary temps be same as primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatinma

Reaction score
Just put my obsidian stoute clone (oatmeal stout) in to secondary and I realize our house temp is about 5 degrees warmer than what it was the past couple of weeks.

In general, what temps should I keep my stout at while in secondary?

Is it as important to keep a consistant temperature while in secondary as it is for primary?

thanks.

well it's my understanding is that secondary fermentation is miss named because no real fermentation takes place. it's just done to clarifiy and condition the beer. the yeast is not doing any real work anymore. shouldn't really be a problem

well it's my understanding is that secondary fermentation is miss named because no real fermentation takes place. it's just done to clarifiy and condition the beer. the yeast is not doing any real work anymore. shouldn't really be a problem

That is what I figured. I only racked it to secondary because I wasn't sure what ill affects the trub will have on the beer if it sits on it for too long.

I just wanted to give it some time to clear also. Thanks for letting me know the temps aren't that big of a concern.

A lot of brewers here(myself included) do a 3-4 week primary without a secondary/clearing. The extra time does not hurt, you would have to leave the beer on the trub for well over a month.
After ~3 weeks for me I go straight to bottling. The only time I'd secondary is if I were dry hopping or maybe adding fruit.

Latest posts

Back