In austin texas looking for good beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Austin is blowing up with great local breweries, brewpubs and beer bars. Every time I take a look I find like a dozen new places. I am partial to Live Oak and 512 down there. I'll actually be down this weekend and plan to hit up North by Northwest, Whip Inn, Gingerman and the tour out at Jester King on Saturday. Then I'm going to get wasted on 6th.

Specs is my usual spot to get beer but the Sunrise Minimart looks pretty good. I just found out about it. You probably won't get much in the way of sours (liefman's, lindeman's, petrus, la folie) and most local breweries seem to be tap-only, but you can probably dig up some good options you don't find in NC. I'm not sure if you get la folie but if you don't you should be able to find the 2012 release at specs right about now. I just picked up a bottle in Dallas a couple weeks ago. You should be able to find Southern Star Le Mort Vivant, which is a biere de garde by a brewery down there. It comes in cans but it's pretty good. Not a sour though, but proof Texas does put out some great beers. (Southern Star's other beers are all great.) Real Ale puts out some interesting beers. The pale rye ale is pretty good if you prefer something a little more hoppy.

the draughthouse and gingerman are where i was first introduced to the world of craft beer while going to school in austin. haven't spent much time there in a long time, but I have heard good things. next time i'm out there i want to go to black star coop most of all. they apparently specialize in sour mash beers.

The gang from the company I do contract design work for hangs out at North by Northwest, so I've been there quite often. I always enjoy the atmosphere in the outdoor area, but their brews are, for the most part, just OK...

Cheers!

Austin is blowing up with great local breweries, brewpubs and beer bars. Every time I take a look I find like a dozen new places. I am partial to Live Oak and 512 down there. I'll actually be down this weekend and plan to hit up North by Northwest, Whip Inn, Gingerman and the tour out at Jester King on Saturday. Then I'm going to get wasted on 6th.

Specs is my usual spot to get beer but the Sunrise Minimart looks pretty good. I just found out about it. You probably won't get much in the way of sours (liefman's, lindeman's, petrus, la folie) and most local breweries seem to be tap-only, but you can probably dig up some good options you don't find in NC. I'm not sure if you get la folie but if you don't you should be able to find the 2012 release at specs right about now. I just picked up a bottle in Dallas a couple weeks ago. You should be able to find Southern Star Le Mort Vivant, which is a biere de garde by a brewery down there. It comes in cans but it's pretty good. Not a sour though, but proof Texas does put out some great beers. (Southern Star's other beers are all great.) Real Ale puts out some interesting beers. The pale rye ale is pretty good if you prefer something a little more hoppy.

I agree on the Southern Star but its not located in Austin. The brewery is actually located in Conroe, TX about 60 or so miles north of Houston. Great little brewery. i dont know any one mentioned it but whip in you can find some good bottles but spec's is usually a place i go to often.

Recommended breweries: Austin Beerworks, Hops and Grain, Jester King, Real Ale, Saint Arnolds, Adelberts (Belgian), Rahr & Sons, Thats all i cant remember that bottles. There are a few just on tap at the moment.

If you want an excellent selection of bottled beer, check out the convenience store at the corner of 45th and Duval. It's pretty amazing, especially for a gas station. They are a little pricey, but it's cool that you can mix and match 6 packs, and the owners are an awesome family. Also, I think this may be the Sunrise Mini Mart that Markd27 was referring to.

I agree on the Southern Star but its not located in Austin. The brewery is actually located in Conroe, TX about 60 or so miles north of Houston. Great little brewery. i dont know any one mentioned it but whip in you can find some good bottles but spec's is usually a place i go to often.

Right, I was just pointing out their beer can be located in Austin.

This isn't answering your question, but hopefully it might help in other ways :)

Not sure where you are geographically, but I was there 2 weeks ago and ate dinner at Lambert's: http://www.lambertsaustin.com/

Great BBQ, small but quality tap list, and overall a nice dining experience.

I've heard great things about North by Northwest too, but it's farther outside city limits, so if you're cabbing it and/or staying downtown, it's probably not as feasible.

This thread is gonna get outta control if we all start recommending BBQ places.

Salt Lick for the win!!!:rockin:

Live Oak Market on Mancha and Ben White has a good selection plus try out Thirsty Planet Brewing or Hops and Grain my 2 favorites in town.

Back