improving batch #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzlater

Reaction score
OK I brewed and bottled my first batch and am always thinking of ways to improve my next brew. These seem to me to be the easiest ways to better extract brew.
Input or advice appreciated.
#1 Use a yeast starter and maybe try liquid instead of dry. I used Nottinghan this time and I think I might try a California ale yeast. From what I've read this yeast ferments very clean, will this help get rid of those fruity flavors I get from not having good control of ferment. temps?
#2 Don't transfer to secondary. Again from what I've read it's not really neccesary and justs adds to the risk of contamination.(and my contamination anxiety)
#3 Use all DME instaed of mixing DME and LME. Not sure if this will be an improvement but it seems like a good idea. Any thoughts?
#4 Try and control ferment temps better. I have an old little dorm fridge I was thinking of taking the door off and extending it to fit the carboy with some foam board. Will this work with out an add on temp controller?
I'd like to go to a full wort boil too but with our wonderful economy I don't know if I'll be able to afford ingredients let alone a propane burner .wort , chiller and brew kettle.

dzlater said:
OK I brewed and bottled my first batch and am always thinking of ways to improve my next brew. These seem to me to be the easiest ways to better extract brew.
Input or advice appreciated.
#1 Use a yeast starter and maybe try liquid instead of dry. I used Nottinghan this time and I think I might try a California ale yeast. From what I've read this yeast ferments very clean, will this help get rid of those fruity flavors I get from not having good control of ferment. temps?
#2 Don't transfer to secondary. Again from what I've read it's not really neccesary and justs adds to the risk of contamination.(and my contamination anxiety)
#3 Use all DME instaed of mixing DME and LME. Not sure if this will be an improvement but it seems like a good idea. Any thoughts?
#4 Try and control ferment temps better. I have an old little dorm fridge I was thinking of taking the door off and extending it to fit the carboy with some foam board. Will this work with out an add on temp controller?
I'd like to go to a full wort boil too but with our wonderful economy I don't know if I'll be able to afford ingredients let alone a propane burner .wort , chiller and brew kettle.

all of these are fine, but I don't bother with a yeast starter w/dry yeast.

In fact, I don't use liquid yeast at all, for this reason.

many people prefer DME to LME, but I always have good luck with LME - but I always buy the bulk LME from my LHBS, and it's fairly fresh.

yes, probably not necessary to transfer to secondary.

temp control is good. you can do what you say, many have done it. I personally feel it's too much trouble for me, so I select yeast and recepies that can handle the wider temp range that my beers are subjected too. It does limit the styles I can do.

I never seem to quite do a full wort boil myself, so I can't comment on this.

With all the different improvements I've made to my techniques, from using LME to all-grain, I have to say the best improvement I've noted was when I learned fermentation temperature control.

A dorm fridge may be too cold, though, without an external thermostat control. Look around and see how others managed it.

tranceamerica said:
all oso I select yeast and recepies that can handle the wider temp range that my beers are subjected too. It does limit the styles I can do. .

can you recomend some yeasts that will work well with the wider temp ranges?

dzlater said:

It will work, you just won't be able to precisely control the temp. Keep in mind that any temp change you make with the built in contorller will take 12-24 hours to settle in (depending on the fridge size).

What about doing a Partial Mash on the next one? You'll get a little more control over the flavor without having to upgrade a whole lot stuff. Just my .02

+1 on trying a partial mash...definitely provide more control, but extract and steeping grains can produce very fine beers too. If you search on here there is a great link to a countertop partial mash method...

The US-05, california ale, does come in dry. I have used the dry version and it worked great.

I would personally switch over to all DME. LME darkens during the boil unless you do a late boil addition.

As for temp control, are you trying to keep it cooler or warmer than the target ferm temp? I have trouble in winter keeping the temp up, so I made a makeshift tempertaure bath with a big tote and an aquarium heater to keep the temperatures a little higher for the fermenter...

I really have to disagree with bypassing secondary. Since I've started using secondary my beers have improved noticeably. Plus if stuff happens or I just get lazy/busy, keeping it in the tank a few extra weeks does no harm - and in fact I think does good. I've never had any contamination issues.

Of course 'to secondary or not' appears to be a dispute of religous proportions so I'd say whatever makes you happy, but I would respectfully disagree that it doesn't help.

dzlater said:
can you recomend some yeasts that will work well with the wider temp ranges?

I've used nottingham & windsor, even above 72*, and it's been fine. I've just started trying the Safale / Safbrew yeasts, which all have a wide range, up to 75*F. I'm currently using mutons in a batch, but I'm not sure it's all that great - it had a fast initial ferment, but then slowed way down for 2 weeks...but now it's started up strongly again. Not sure I can take that type of wackiness in a yeast. Haven't tried the beer yet though, so maybe it's fine.

also +1 on doing partial mash, or steeping grains. This will add a lot of character and flavor to your beer. Even steeping a half pound of crystal in a ME beer will add a lot.

I'm a new guy to brewing, and have only done 4 batches but I can throw my 2 cents in here:

I've used the Wyeast smack packs and have had great success. Even fermenting at higher temps (75-78F) my pale ales have come out very clean using the Wyeast 1056 strain.

If you have good sanitation then I wouldn't worry about contamination at this point because your beer has a good amount of alcohol. However, I don't use a secondary either :D . I've found that if you leave your beer in the primary for at least 2 weeks and preferably 3-4 weeks it will clear dramatically.

I've only used all LME, and have had no problems. I also do a full boil and throw it in there all at once. I haven't had any problems with carmelization or darkening of the beer since I can do a full boil.

I may have got lucky, but my little fridge holds perfect temp at 68-70F without a temp controller. I had to move the dial ever so slowly back and forth a few times to dial it in but now it's set and I don't ever touch it. I will be getting a digital temp controller as soon as I get the money though, just for peace of mind. Check out my fridge project HERE. I've done pretty much what you've described, and it just took me an afternoon.

I think one of my best purchases was the el cheapo turkey fryer kit from Lowes/Home Depot. I got it on sale for $37.92, which was a steal IMHO. The burner will boil a full 7g of water in under 45 minutes, and it comes with a 7.5g kettle. Makes the whole process very easy, but you will want to invest in an immersion chiller at some point.

TwoHeadsBrewing said:
I'm a new guy to brewing, and have only done 4 batches but I can throw my 2 cents in here:

I may have got lucky, but my little fridge holds perfect temp at 68-70F without a temp controller. I had to move the dial ever so slowly back and forth a few times to dial it in but now it's set and I don't ever touch it. I will be getting a digital temp controller as soon as I get the money though, just for peace of mind. Check out my fridge project HERE. I've done pretty much what you've described, and it just took me an afternoon.

I think one of my best purchases was the el cheapo turkey fryer kit from Lowes/Home Depot. I got it on sale for $37.92, which was a steal IMHO. The burner will boil a full 7g of water in under 45 minutes, and it comes with a 7.5g kettle. Makes the whole process very easy, but you will want to invest in an immersion chiller at some point.

Nice job with the fridge I wasn't going to try any thing that fancy. I was thinking foam board and duct tape. The fridge I have is even smaller the one in your photos.

I saw this TFK http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1347143
And thought the pot with the spigot might be a good thing. Could I use the straining basket for partial mashing?

Latest posts

Back