impression about boiling hops and time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARCELO178

Reaction score
Almost every recipe that I find online has a 15 minutes boil for flavor/aroma hops. I have done this some times and I do not enjoy, although some friends love. So I started to search why. I read in some place that the tannins in hops need to be neutralized by boiling. I also read that commercial beers use 30 minutes boil for hops. It should give a cleaner hops flavor(I really don´t know what that means...)
I would like to share this impression about hops boiling and read about experiences.

Not sure where you are reading any of that. I think its nonsense. Commercial breweries add hops at all different times. Boiling hops for 30 minutes removes most of the flavor and aroma. That's why brewers add some hops early in the boil to provide most of the bitterness and some hops later in the boil for hop flavors and aroma.

I suggest you do a google about hops. Read about what makes them a favorable flavor/aroma hop vs bittering hop. I think whoever wrote what you read was confused and maybe you don't prefer the flavor of that particular hop and not necessarily hope at 15 min

Latest posts

Back