Impressed with my SMaSH!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumber_bob

Reaction score
I did my first SMaSH on 6/4. Recipe to follow.
I had been real hesitant about doing this in the past because,... well it was too damned simple and I had a mental block about it working, I guess.

Any how, I tried it and it impressed me. Taste makes me picture a BMC light beer but only much better.

Stats:

10 Gallon batch

20lbs Rahr 2 row

Mash 90 min

1oz Cascade 90 min
1oz cascade 15 min
1oz cascade @ flame out
2tsp Irish moss 15min

ABV 4%

In the primary 2 weeks, then kegged.
30 psi after a few days the into the kegerator and under 12psi.

I rushed this one compared to my dark beers, but I have the second keg aging for comparison. It won't be tapped until around the 4th of July. But if my understanding is right, these types of beer don't need a 6 week cycle from boil to mug,... Right?

2 concerns:

The closest thing to a head I get is a 1/4" of foam from a pour with the mug 2' under the tap. And it lasts 30 seconds if that.

Then, CO2 retention seems to suck. Drinking it, I can barley tell it is carbonated.

If those two things are typical for that recipe, then it's a sacrifice that I don't mind for this batch. Heck, anyone who drinks hydro samples should be able to relate, right?

Next I plan on doubling the hops bill and no other changes. Then build from there. I do see why home brewers should give SMaSH a try. It is surprisingly enlightening. And gives me a whole new enthusiasm about making my own recipes.

Anyways,... about my concerns:
Is lack of head and the CO2 issue normal?

pb

Give it time it will continue to carb up. It will have a bit thinner head because there isn't as much in the beer to aid with head retention. Not the end of the world. Increasing the hops should be cool. You can get to a point with a smash that it gets pretty puckering and not as drinkable but that change shouldn't push it that far......YMMV.

Give it time it will continue to carb up. It will have a bit thinner head because there isn't as much in the beer to aid with head retention. Not the end of the world. Increasing the hops should be cool. You can get to a point with a smash that it gets pretty puckering and not as drinkable but that change shouldn't push it that far......YMMV.

That's what I was hoping to hear.

I am impressed with how it turned out so far. And I see a good foundation to build recipes on.

I'm also going to do the same recipe only swap the base to Marris Otter. And build on that also.

pb

I like the marris otter. I do a citra marris otter smash that I like a lot. It's cool to play around with ingredients to an extreme some times.

Latest posts

Back