Importance of preservatives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iordz

Reaction score
I mazed my first mead about 2 months ago. It has attenuated from 1.096 to 1.000 and tastes very green. I plan to secondary it for around 3-4 months and bottle condition for, at least, 6 months.
I have read about potassium sorbate, sulfites, fermentation inhibiters and other preservatives, and was wondering about their importantce. I have also read that once mead is bottled malolactic bacteria, if present, can produce gasses and off flavors and that a sulfite should be used to kill the bacteria and preserve the mead, is this true? I would prefer not to use any ingredients other than honey water and yeast, you know, keep it natural.
I would like to get opinions from experienced mead makers and recommendations on which chemicals should be used and which are not necessary.

If you add any more sugar back into the mead it will simply ferment out again. If you don't use something like campden to kill the yeast you'll just make stronger mead. Potassium sorbate prevents yeast multiplication, which will prevent any yeast that survived the campden from multiplying

I've never put potassium sorbate/metabisulfate /campden tabs in a finished mead. I secondary, sometimes tertiary, then bottle and finish aging.

I have bottles that are gonna be 10 years old this november, and they taste heavenly.

Back