Implementing a grain mill motor-- I have some questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePro

Reaction score
So, I am the proud new owner of a C&S grain mill. I was going to mill it with a hand crank because I could easily have a fabricator friend build one for me, but I went down into my basement (riddled with stuff left from the previous owner-- he was jailed and the bank foreclosed on him), and I found a motor.

Now, the motor has 5 separate track diameters and on the side it says it has an RPM of 1750. I know ideally you don't want to exceed 200 RPM with a grain mill because it shreds the husk instead of crushes the grain.

What is the math on getting the right RPM? What size wheel will I need to get for X track? I didn't take any measurements just yet but it looks like the tracks are staggered by an inch every new track starting from 1 and going to 6 inches.

Any help is appreciated-- I can post make and model when I get home as well as some photos.

Just MO, but I think you will likely spend more time and effort fitting that old motor to the mill than just simply buying an inexpensive 1/2" drill. HF sells a 1/2 D-handle drill w/ 10 amps for like $33 bucks on sale.

Apologies if I didn't answer the original post and have been no help whastsoever:mug:

Just MO, but I think you will likely spend more time and effort fitting that old motor to the mill than just simply buying an inexpensive 1/2" drill. HF sells a 1/2 D-handle drill w/ 10 amps for like $33 bucks on sale.

Apologies if I didn't answer the original post and have been no help whastsoever:mug:

Any advice is help!

You will need roughly a 10:1 reduction through pulley sizes. So a 1" on the motor and a 10" on the mill.

How expensive are pulleys + belts usually?

I'm not sure, but it could be pretty low if you can find used pulleys, or scavange them off other equipment. Mcmaster has all sorts of pulleys, just check out their site. You will need to know what the shaft diameter of the motor for the small one, and the mill for the large one.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#pulleys/=dbvq3x

I'm not sure, but it could be pretty low if you can find used pulleys, or scavange them off other equipment. Mcmaster has all sorts of pulleys, just check out their site. You will need to know what the shaft diameter of the motor for the small one, and the mill for the large one.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#pulleys/=dbvq3x

Excellent-- thanks a bunch.

By the way, what are the formulae for calculating this? Just interested.

How expensive are pulleys + belts usually?

Sorry but "usually' is tricky to define. Pulleys + belts range from free to pretty costly plus shipping if you need to order from a specialty place like Mcmaster. Hence the reason for my post above. Lots of people build great motorized mills but they usually use salvaged equipment and hardware. Paying retail for this type of stuff adds up quickly.

OK I'll take a guess for ya....hundred bucks, how's that.

Excellent-- thanks a bunch.

By the way, what are the formulae for calculating this?
Just interested.

Simple math. If the driver is 1/10th the size of the driven, you would get roughly a 90% reduction.

1750/10=175 rpm

Back