Imperial yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the Imperial A09 Pub on an IPA that I brewed a few months ago.
Golden Spruce IPA Recipe

The can was pretty cool and easy to work with if you follow the directions. I just followed the instructions at the right on this page:
http://www.imperialyeast.com/faq/

This yeast at least was pretty clean and the beer focused mostly on the hops I was using, but I would use Imperial again and can say that I enjoyed it.

I've used a couple of them. I brewed a couple IPAs, a brown ale and dark session. Overall I think I prefer wyeast and then whitelabs and finally imperial. I had a hard time getting the yeast out of the can. I followed their directions. You do get a bit more yeast but I'm always making starters so it didn't really seem to matter to me. I brew 10-20 gallons at a time in a single fermenter.

I like a lot of the ideas they have but I just don't see myself using it in the future. I did get some insanely fresh yeast. Oldest was 2 weeks old when I bought them. Less than a month old when I brewed.

I use it. I like it a lot. They have a FAQ section on there website that answers anything you might want to know about it. I use their sac trois quite often. Good stuff.

I've used their Barbarian and Independence and had good results with both. I've had good luck harvesting from an overbuilt starter with the Barbarian. I wish my local shop would carry them!

Anyone using this?

Any feedback?

I only use imperial yeast now! My go to for every brew day unless it’s out of stock. My favorites so far have been A38 Juice, Independence, Dry Hop, Gnome and Darkness. I hate making starters so direct pitching these little monsters work like a charm. Only con is the price tag. Their facility is located in Portland, OR and you can tour if you reach out to them in advance. Cool facility

Anyone using this?

Any feedback?

I only use imperial yeast now! My go to for every brew day unless it’s out of stock. My favorites so far have been A38 Juice, Independence, Dry Hop, Gnome and Darkness. I hate making starters so direct pitching these little monsters work like a charm. Only con is the price tag. Their facility is located in Portland, OR and you can tour if you reach out to them in advance. Cool facility and staff

I've done a few batches with A09, and I have a can of the Dry Hop in the fridge for my next brew day.

I can add to this thread that their customer service is top notch! I submitted a question on their website about using a starter on Dry Hop (because of the blend) and one of their reps called me within hours. She was super helpful (starter is fine for the first batch, but if you harvest and re-pitch the profile will gradually shift to favor Barbarian), and she was happy to give advice on recipes. We spent a bit of time talking about how hard it is to get A09 out of the can, be sure to have a spoon handy.

I'm sure I'll use them again, but I will probably also keep some dry US-05 and 34/70 in the fridge.

I just got a can of A09 Pub for an ESB. Looks simple enough to use. I hope to harvest from this can for the next few batches. I believe this strain is considered to be Fullers but not certain.

We spent a bit of time talking about how hard it is to get A09 out of the can, be sure to have a spoon handy.

FWIW, I love their packaging but they will be switching to pouches in 2018 similar to OMEGA YEAST. Should make pitching less messy and easier this way.

They seem to have some kind of sponsorship deal with Brulosophy, so a lot of the recent Brulosophy brews use Imperial yeasts.

I just used A24 Dry Hop in a NEIPA, and it took off like crazy. I've heard good things and I can't wait to taste this beer.

I just used A24 Dry Hop in a NEIPA, and it took off like crazy. I've heard good things and I can't wait to taste this beer.

I used it in a traditional and a NE IPA and thought it was nice, but it had a bit of a lemon tart aftertaste to my pallet that I didn't love.

I'm going to be giving 1318 and US-04 a shot next to see how they compare.

Very interesting. Do you have a source for that info, I had not heard this yet. Sad, I love the can, and find it very easy to use.

My source is directly from them. I’ve built quite the relationship with them over the past year. I too love the packaging as is but I’m assuming cost effectiveness may be reason behind the change [emoji848]

Rustic is my go to yeast for Belgian style beers. I keep wanting to experiment with other yeasts but the results are exactly what I want. Im going to try Dry Hop the next time i do an IPA.

I have used the Pub in a bitter (tasted delicious going into the keg) and pitched the Independence in a pale ale today.

The price point isn't an issue for me -- double the cell count without double the cost of a Wyeast smack pack. I don't re-pitch or harvest either, so cost is cost regardless of company. The pouches are easier to open with slippery Starsan hands than the swollen Wyeast packs. I like that. Lastly, but not leastly, I pitched it today at 17 celsius at 1pm; it had taken off full bore in the airlock by 4:30pm. Shortest lag time in my years of brewing. Cell count, I guess.

I love Wyeast's selection and have been very happy with their product over the years. I will continue to use Wyeast, but find the no starter part of Imperial to be a big selling point. Am not an devotee of either brand, but having selection is always a good thing.

I have used Imperial a couple of times in the can and didn't have it take off. I used the Darkness yesterday in a beer, this was the new Imperial in the bag, I pitched at 4pm and stuck the fermentor into the chamber and it was going strong this morning. I really like it and will continue to use it in my beers.

I used A38 Juice recently (my first Imperial) on a NEIPA.
It performed well and took off like a bat out of hell.
I'll use them, but not exclusively. I still like my WL and WY for lagers (if it ain't broke...).

Their dry hop blend is insane for any fruit forward IPA. I still use Omega most of the time but for the stuff they don't carry I go Imperial. The only time I don't use one of those is when I grab a beta culture from TYB or the Dry Belgian.

We pitched a pouch of the Imperial Napoleon into a Saison on Feb 10 and it took off like crazy. It slowed after a couple days, and then we added a can of Blood Orange syrup and it went crazy again. It is still churning away with a burp every 45 seconds. Smells delicious, but almost a month in primary and still has work to do [emoji851][emoji106]

Found the A09 Pub yeast to leave a bit of a grassy flavor, 3 batches in a row. Next batch with S05 came out much cleaner. Anyone else have any experience with the flavor profile of the A09?

A09 Pub is supposedly Fuller's. I didn't find anything grassy about it, and I've used it in both highly hopped beers and lower hopped beers, with Dark Crystal malt,s and english hops. It's is definitely close to Fuller's: it has those pleasent orange esters, with a generic fruitiness, that goes well with specialty malt.

I have been using Flagship yeast lately for a Stout and for IPA’s. I have been happy with it except for its flocculation is on the low side and therefore my patience gets tested during cold crashing My IPA’s. The yeast have been finishing within 5-7 days for my IPA’s. Due to the low flocc I have decided to switch back to White Labs 090. 090 has worked well for me however my local Homebrew shop does not stock very much of it.

Back