Imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redman1340

Reaction score
I have a batch of imperial stout in the primary fermenter on day 4. Do I wait longer in the secondary so it ages or do I wait till I bottle it for the aging process? How long is an appropriate time to age this beer? I was told anywhere from one to two months.

I'd leave an Imperial at least 2 weeks, probably 6 weeks or more before moving it anywhere.

how high was the starting gravity? what yeast are you using?
generally with that style you would want to wait a couple weeks in primary, and several months in secondary. they can be "drinkable" in a couple months but will drastically improve with age.

My starting gravity is 1.08. I don't remember what kind of yeast I used.

1.08 isnt super high, depending on the yeast it could be very drinkable in 2-4 months. would still go a couple weeks in primary and make sure the gravity has stabilized before you rack to secondary. secondary and then bottle.

* my last imperial stout OG was 1.102 . it was very drinkable at 4 months, but now its almost 11 months old and its awesome!

Id you can, it seems to be thought that bulk aging (in the carboy) is better than bottle aging. Make sure fermentation is complete before racking, of course. I say a month of conditioning, be it in the secondary or in the bottle, is minimum for an Imp Stout. I have an Imp Stout that a judge said I should let age for a year and re-enter it. The brew had aged for about 4 months at that point. It was delicious after a month in the bottle though!

This thread is old but I have a similar question. I've been brewing for almost a year and learned about bulk aging vs bottling aging. I want to do a russian imperial stout soon (waiting for a rainy day) and my plan is to bulk age in secondary for 6 months then re-pitch before bottling. Is this even possible? My basement will be ~60-70F throughout the summer and fall. I would like it ready by Thanksgiving.

This thread is old but I have a similar question. I've been brewing for almost a year and learned about bulk aging vs bottling aging. I want to do a russian imperial stout soon (waiting for a rainy day) and my plan is to bulk age in secondary for 6 months then re-pitch before bottling. Is this even possible? My basement will be ~60-70F throughout the summer and fall. I would like it ready by Thanksgiving.

I have my RIS in primary right now, getting ready to rack to secondary (after 4 weeks in primary) next weekend. I am going to bulk age for 6 mos or so, and then bottle with CBC-1 cask yeast.

I have my RIS in primary right now, getting ready to rack to secondary (after 4 weeks in primary) next weekend. I am going to bulk age for 6 mos or so, and then bottle with CBC-1 cask yeast.
Ok, so it is a thing. I have a couple home brew books and no where does it mention bulk aging or really aging at all. Weird.

My American Imperial Stout brewed late in 2015 took a second place. I aged some in bottles for a year and the same beer took first place. LOL I'm doing it again. I have two 12 packs I'm ageing in bottles. One for a year and the other for 2 years.

Latest posts

Back