Imperial Stout/Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
13 lbs Vienna
2 lbs crisp brown
8oz Roasted barley
1 lb flaked oats
1 lb C120
8oz C60

1 can Coopers Stout Extract
2lbs cane sugar

Magnum @60mins to about 80IBU

Yeast: pitched on top of us05 or Notty cake
champagne yeast added after 10days

og should be around 1.141 i think. so if it finishes at 1.021 = 15.2ABV

Sounds interesting. One suggestion would be to reserve the sugar - boil in a small amount of water, cool, and add after the fermentation has slowed down. This "feeding" techniques is often used in strong wines (and sometimes beers) to avoid shocking the yeast with the very high OG.

yeah i might wait a few days to add the coopers stout extract and the sugar seperate from the rest

Whoa boyee, that is imperial for the win.

I'll second the stepped sugar additions, and further I would recommend an O2 addition with the sugar and maybe some Fermaid-K as well. You want to give your yeast back rubs to ferment motor oil.

EC-1118 will work nicely if you need it to restart a stuck ferment, but I don't think you'll need it, with a stepped ferment I am betting that US-05 or WLP001 or WY1056 will take this baby all the way down on its own.

+1 each on the later extract addition, and additions of Fermaid + O2. I like the idea of keeping the wine yeast in reserve - as Dos Amigos (nice name - I almost took it, but my brew partner's wife didn't think it quite fit us...) notes, most ale strains will get the job done if you treat them right.

going to brew this over the weekend. Picked up some fermaid. I decided to replace some of the vienna with marris otter. and add a halfpound of coffee malt.

do you think i should do a 120minute mash verus the normal 60?

somehow even with a 90minute mash, i only hit 1080 before LME and sugar. with 75%eff it was suppose to be 1103. thats like 58%. pretty poor

might do a minimash and boil it down a lot to add when i add the LME/sugar since iwant this one to be huge

its now bottled. from the samples i tasted, i think i would replace the coopers stout lme with regular light lme instead. and actually add more bittering hops. i think i added 2oz columbus and 1 oz magnum at 60 and its still no really that bitter. it def needs a lot more aging, ill report back in 6months

Back