Imperial Stout missed target

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stooges56

Reaction score
I just brewed an imperial stout with extract and grains. My projected original gravity using hopville was 1.115 and the projected final gravity was 1.029. Well needless to say, it didn't go very smoothly. Had a couple significant boilovers and lost a lot of wort. My original gravity was measured at 1.094. I used WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast. After a week of fermenting it's stopped bubbling and the gravity is at 1.030. While it's at the projected final gravity, do you think I should pitch more yeast because of the lower original gravity? Does it have more fermenting to do? Thanks!

How long has it been in the primary?
Oh, and what was the temp when you took your reading?

I'll avoid giving suggestions since I'm a rookie, but thinking out loud (well, you know what i mean) I'd say if the reading is stable for a few days you are at your final gravity.

Good luck!
-Brett

One week of fermentation, with that high an OG, and what I am guessing is one vial of liquid yeast (w/o any starter), is going to need about 2 more weeks in primary before it is finished.... even if it is at or near projected FG. The lower OG doesn't necessarily mean the FG will be lower on a linear scale. FG is a function of wort fermentability and yeast health.

I pitched only one vial without starter and it was at 70 degrees. I'll be keeping it in secondary for around two months and then bottles for about 2 months.

A 1.094 imperial stout would definitely benefit from a big yeast starter, but it's a little late for that. At this point a week in primary is not long enough and I would let it be for another couple weeks and then check on it again.

I pitched only one vial without starter and it was at 70 degrees. I'll be keeping it in secondary for around two months and then bottles for about 2 months.

1 vial for a 1.094 beer? You severely under pitched. Quick glance at mrmalty says that you should have used 3.5 vials with no starter. Pitch another vial I suppose, but I don't have any experience with pitching twice, sorry. You definitely definitely under pitched though. Don't feel bad though! Live and learn, and enjoy that monster!

You could pitch more yeast, but it probably won't do anything. I'd just leave it be, an imperial stout finishing at 1.030 will probably be delicious! Might drop a few more points over time anyway...

Is there fermentable sugars still left in the wort that can be utilized by another yeast addition?

Do you guys recommend Mr. Malty in the future? Thanks for all your help!

Latest posts

Back