imperial stout length in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphopaim5

Reaction score
I just started a imperial stout a few days ago. I used a whole packet of danstar yeast I am worried about the length of the fermenting process. because it is a imperial stout is it going to not matter or should my fermentation be quicker due to the drop in the volume of the batch? also is the a benefit to racking my beer. I'm really anxious to bottle. I was going to leave it in the fermenter for two weeks and then bottle I wanted to skip the racking (which I normally do with all light beers) and condition the bottles for a long period off time.

Just use a hydrometer to make sure you hit final gravity. After that, aging in bottles should be fine.

I prefer to bulk age in secondary though. That way it's easier to be patient and not drink before the beer is ready.

Do NOT rush a RIS. There is a ****load of fermentables in there and it's gonna take some time to ferment them out.
Imperial Stouts taste best after aging, both bulk and bottle, for around a year.
I like to bulk age my RIS for 3-6 months and then bottle age for another 3-6 months.

If I were you I'd be worried about the fermentation stalling out since you only used one packet of yeast. Odds are it needed 1.5 packs minimum. My first Imp. Stout I underpitched my yeast and came out with a 6+% ABV instead of 9+%.

Go get another pack of yeast if you truly did pitch one pack and toss another pack in there ASAP.

gingerdawg said:
Do NOT rush a RIS. There is a ****load of fermentables in there and it's gonna take some time to ferment them out.
Imperial Stouts taste best after aging, both bulk and bottle, for around a year.
I like to bulk age my RIS for 3-6 months and then bottle age for another 3-6 months.

I am interested in this as well. Because I'm brewing it and leaving it at my fathers house I may not be able to rack off the yeast to secondary for ~2 months. Will leaving it in primary that long have any adverse effects? I plan on bulk aging at least 4 months before bottling. Just didn't know if 1-1.5 of those months could be on the entire yeast cake. I know usually autolysis is not a major concern but didn't know if it might be for such a big beer. Btw it will be temperature controlled at all times in a fridge with the eBay temp controller.

I brewed my second one end of December last year. I fermented for a month. I added more fermentable after 4-5 days to kick it up again. 2 packs of American ale yeast got it to 13%...somehow, lol.

Bulk age it as long as you can. I only did 2 months because it was on top of vanilla beans and bourbon.

I use 2 packets of dry yeast (notty works well in my RIS). Primary for 3 weeks, then bulk age for 2-3 months before bottling. At bottling, I add a packet of Lalvin EC-1118 wine yeast to dry out the beer. Works every time and I must say, my RIS's are really good.

Sheldon

so when though I am doing a 2.5 gallon batch I should get another packet of yeast?

If I were you I'd be worried about the fermentation stalling out since you only used one packet of yeast. Odds are it needed 1.5 packs minimum. My first Imp. Stout I underpitched my yeast and came out with a 6+% ABV instead of 9+%.

Go get another pack of yeast if you truly did pitch one pack and toss another pack in there ASAP.

I was going to say this. Glad to see others think this.

So add both packets of yeast after the boil? Or add one than wait a week or so?

My RIS has been in primary for one week today and just today it stopped bubbling. I only used one pack of s-04.

My RIS has been in primary for one week today and just today it stopped bubbling. I only used one pack of s-04.

What was the OG? I would have used 2 packets to be safe. Leave it another 3 weeks, then check it.

Back