Imperial Red Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plaplant

Reaction score
So I'm going to make a strong red ale this weekend, and I have a lot of new(to me) hops coming in the mail.

Galaxy, Summit, El Dorado, and Amarillo < only one I've used before.

The grain bill will be simple, American 2-row and Crystal 80. Who has used these hops before and can give me some good advice on how to use them together to create a good and hoppy Imperial Red?

Thanks,

So I'm going to make a strong red ale this weekend, and I have a lot of new(to me) hops coming in the mail.

Galaxy, Summit, El Dorado, and Amarillo < only one I've used before.

The grain bill will be simple, American 2-row and Crystal 80. Who has used these hops before and can give me some good advice on how to use them together to create a good and hoppy Imperial Red?

Thanks,

CORRECTION -- I had to sub out Amarillo for Citra, brew store was out of amarillo. Not a bad swap.

What's your mash temp? I'd shot for 150-152 myself and use a little bit of simple sugar at the end of the boil if you like to dry it out a bit. I usually use a little bit of Chocolate Malt for some color but with Crystal 80 you might just be fine on color. I bet all of those hops will work good. I'd use the summit to bitter @ 60mins and then do some big additions at 15, 5, and 0 and dry hop it with a couple of oz also. Good luck man!

What's your mash temp? I'd shot for 150-152 myself and use a little bit of simple sugar at the end of the boil if you like to dry it out a bit. I usually use a little bit of Chocolate Malt for some color but with Crystal 80 you might just be fine on color. I bet all of those hops will work good. I'd use the summit to bitter @ 60mins and then do some big additions at 15, 5, and 0 and dry hop it with a couple of oz also. Good luck man!

Thanks! I also forgot to mention that I have a good amount of harvested Conan yeast that I plan to pitch. And I do like that hop schedule and I plan to use Summit for bittering, but was looking more for which how to use at which times, so that they all pay off each other nicely.

Thanks! I also forgot to mention that I have a good amount of harvested Conan yeast that I plan to pitch. And I do like that hop schedule and I plan to use Summit for bittering, but was looking more for which how to use at which times, so that they all pay off each other nicely.

From what I'm reading on the El Dorado hops they are fruity like citra.. Conan also seems to leave a fruity peach like finish. At any rate I would do a mix of the two hops at all the additions...

For example:

.75 oz El Dorado & .75 oz Citra @ 15 mins
.75 oz El Dorado & .75 oz Citra @ 5 mins
.75 oz El Dorado & .75 oz Citra @ 0 mins

.75 oz El Dorado & .75 oz Citra Dry Hop

Make sure you've got enough Malt/alcohol to back up all the hops and you'll have one awesome Imperial Red Ale :mug:

How did your imperial Red turn out plaplant ?

It worked out pretty well. Efficiency was off from what I had projected but it fermented out well and I was left with nice very hoppy red ale. It fermented at around 68 F ambient, and I have heard the Conan lends better results at lower temps, but Overall I was happy with it.

Plaplant post a pic of the beer when you can thanks!

This is the only pic I have. Taken of sample between 2nd and keg. No carbonation yet, but it came out with a white/ very slightly tan head, that had pretty decent lacing.

20130915_184746.jpg

Nice might try brewing this just changing some hops because can't find el dorado. Looking forward to seeing it carbonated cheers!

Back