Imperial Porter with dried plums + Sherry Oloroso oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehaze

Reaction score
Hi,

As Christmas approaches, I want to try to brew an Imperial Porter, to which I will add just a bit of lactose ( 0.5 lb - added to boil ), vanilla pods, natural dried plums ( 2 lbs - no preservatives added ) and Sherry Oloroso oak chips. The vanilla pods+plums ( cut in smaller pieces ) and oak chips will be soaked in El Dorado 12 years rum for a few days. The content will be added after fermentation for about a week.

The recipe contains a mix of Maris Otter with Brown, Amber, Chocolate, Pale Chocolate and Medium Crystal malts for an OG of 1.090 and FG: 1.022. I will be fermenting with a combination of Windsor and Nottingham dry yeast.

I am unsure how much oak chips should I use. I read chips don't need a prolonged contact with the beer, as they will quickly impart flavours.

I was thinking 3.5 oz for 5-7 days, but is it too much? I will age some bottles to try next year.

Thank you.

I really don't like chips for wood-aging homebrew. They have this odd astringent quality that always seems to strip out the worst flavors from the oak, and the oak flavor is a lot more "fleeting" than other methods. Oak cubes and spirals are a safer bet to harness the woody, vanilla notes without getting any astringency. Use 0.25 oz/gal for a lighter note, and 0.5 oz/gal for something a bit more robust for 4-6 weeks.

specharka Thank you for you reply. I don't have oak cubes at hand. These Oak chips were given to me as a present.

Maybe I should skip those this time and try to get some nice oak cubes for the next one.

I've talked to a few local brewers about oak chips and one of them uses oak chips for a Stout they make and it's good. He said he leaves the oak chips for about 2 weeks and recommended I only let them for max. one week.

So I think I will go ahead and use the chips and post back with the results, if anyone is interested.

How about the dried plums? Has any of you used them before in a dark beer?

Would anyone care to tell how the recipe looks? I am kinda unsure and would love any kind of critique.

Thank you.

Hello again.

Sorry to be pushy... does the recipe look OK? I ask, because I'm pretty unsure how this will turn out. I am aiming for a roastier Porter, with around 50 IBUs ans maybe 9%. The water profile looks something like 70 ppm Ca, 10 ppm Mg, 15 ppm Na, 40 ppm Cl and 80 ppm Sulfate.

Hello again.

Sorry to be pushy... does the recipe look OK? I ask, because I'm pretty unsure how this will turn out. I am aiming for a roastier Porter, with around 50 IBUs ans maybe 9%. The water profile looks something like 70 ppm Ca, 10 ppm Mg, 15 ppm Na, 40 ppm Cl and 80 ppm Sulfate.

I am brewing my own imperial porter on saturday that I didn't get any feedback on. I think yours looks pretty good but might get rid of the amber malt and possibly up the brown malt a tad in it's place with the rest going to base malt. Maybe back down on the chocolate and pael chocolate a bit to stay closer to 10% roasted grains. Take my advice with a grain of salt since I'm trying to get advice myself. My ingredients are already purchased so I'm locked in at this point.

Similarly to you; I am shooting for 1.093, 50 IBUs and using Nottingham (alone). I am planning on mine to be less robust though.

goschman Thank you for the reply. So... I am going for a more robust Porter, with a more definitive roasty flavour, chocolate, coffee, dark fruit, plums and a bit of barrel/alcohol presence. I will brew the beer tomorrow morning, starting 5 o'clock and I will post here how it went.

The thing I keep coming back to is mash pH, but I will see how it goes. I have a pH meter and will adjust with Baking soda when needed.

I will post more tomorrow.

goschman Thank you for the reply. So... I am going for a more robust Porter, with a more definitive roasty flavour, chocolate, coffee, dark fruit, plums and a bit of barrel/alcohol presence. I will brew the beer tomorrow morning, starting 5 o'clock and I will post here how it went.

The thing I keep coming back to is mash pH, but I will see how it goes. I have a pH meter and will adjust with Baking soda when needed.

I will post more tomorrow.

Good luck! Sounds like you got it figured out. Sorry didn't pay too much attention to the wood chips and adjuncts.

I personally like a mash pH above 5.4 for darker beers. I would like push closer to 5.6 but that would require a lot of unnecessary Na from the baking soda so I will have to stay around 5.5 with black malty water profile.

I would be happy with something between 5.3 and 5.4, without adding too much Baking soda. I brewed a few dark beers with a mash pH of 5.1-5.3 and turned out very good, so as long as I manage 5.3-5.4, I am happy.

Thank for the replies.

I cut 1/2" white oak cubes on the bandsaw and toast them in the oven. To remove the harsh astringent flavors (and sanitize) I boil them. The boil water is discarded. I put the cubes in the fermenter for the last week of fermentation. That has worked well for me. I've not had a problem with harshness, or overpowering oak taste.

I've done an oatmeal stout with and without oak, and I definitely prefer it with the oak.

I would be happy with something between 5.3 and 5.4, without adding too much Baking soda. I brewed a few dark beers with a mash pH of 5.1-5.3 and turned out very good, so as long as I manage 5.3-5.4, I am happy.

Thank for the replies.

Awesome! Agree to disagree. Please update the thread with your impressions.

I am about to finish the mash and begin the mash out
91 minutes mash at 147F/64C
pH was measured at 20, 30, 40 and 60 minutes in the mash with little to no difference at all
pH was 5.45 adjusted with 4 gr Baking Soda

Grain bill was 18.75 lbs and that's a lot for the Grainfather
Boil time: 120 minutes
Added a bit of sugar and lactose to boil
OG: 1.090
7 gallons in the fermenter ( hopefully, I will be left with 6 gallons to bottle )

The Porter I brewed earlier today has been showing signs of fermentation for almost 1 hour now. So it started fermenting 4 hours after I pitched the yeast. I am happy.

I am now in the course of boiling my Imperial Brown Ale.

OG: 1.090
FG: 1.018
55 IBU
9.5% ABV

8 days on 2.2 lbs dried plums, 3 oz oak chips and 12 years old El Dorado Rum
Bottled 5.8 gallons on 20 Nov. 2018
Final beer pH: 4.15

Aroma and tasting notes at bottling: lots of roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, raw cocoa, the plum is subtle, the rum is there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back