Imperial IPA Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all! I'd like to make an imperial IPA with an OG of 1.083. I'm trying to create a recipe myself and am not sure what the proper yeast to use would be? What are opinions on Danstar Nottingham, Safeale US04 or US05, or any other recommendations?

Also, if attempting to brew a beer with an ABV over 8% should the primary be kept on the higher or lower side of the recommended fermentation temp?

Thanks!!

3.5 packets is way overkill imo. If your using US05 and they are 11.5 gram packets you only need 1.4 unless the yeast is really old.

yeast.jpg

LoloMT7 said:
3.5 packets is way overkill imo. If your using US05 and they are 11.5 gram packets you only need 1.4 unless the yeast is really old.

My bad, I computed this using 5g packs. Yeah, with 11.5g packs, ~1.5 packs is good.

I brewed an IIPA (9.32%ABV, 85IBU) and used 2 packets of S-05. Took is down from 1.080 to 1.009. I found that it took a bit longer to condition in the bottles than some of the other liquid yeasts that I had used, but ultimately was an incredible IIPA. When young it had that sticky sweet flavor and mouthfeel like Sneaky Petes, but, unlike the afore mentioned beer, it continued to evolve and meld into an outstanding beer. Short answer, 2 packets and 18 days primary, 8 days secondary (dry hop), 4 weeks in the bottle starting to get really good, 5-6 weeks ready to show off.

I brewed an IIPA (9.32%ABV, 85IBU) and used 2 packets of S-05. Took is down from 1.080 to 1.009. I found that it took a bit longer to condition in the bottles than some of the other liquid yeasts that I had used, but ultimately was an incredible IIPA. When young it had that sticky sweet flavor and mouthfeel like Sneaky Petes, but, unlike the afore mentioned beer, it continued to evolve and meld into an outstanding beer. Short answer, 2 packets and 18 days primary, 8 days secondary (dry hop), 4 weeks in the bottle starting to get really good, 5-6 weeks ready to show off.

What temp did you ferment at?

Hey man,
For my very first brew I made a all grain Imperial IPA. I used WLP 001 for my starter yeast. The IPA had a OG of 1.084 and a FG of 1.013. I kept it around 72 because I didn't know any better but if I had to do it again I would do my primary around 66F and secondary fermentation at 68F.

For my very first brew, plus being a all grain brew it came out better than I expected. Everyone I talked to loved the way WLP 001 worked... I would have to agree it was a good yeast. Hope this helps you man... Good luck and have fun brewing!

I recently did a Stone Riunation Clone (their double IPA) and pitched 2 packets of 1056 - I didn't have time to make a starter.....Came out great.

I just brewed a double ipa at 1.085 og and used muntons yeast, two packets, and it seems to have died out at 1.030 been there for four days and I'm still trying to get it going again so don't use that kind

It may sound boring, but I like US-05/WY1056 for my APAs and AIPAs. Ferment at 62-63 to start, let it climb to 68 to finish. It lets the hops shine.

Used (2) 11.5 gram packets of US-05 for my DIPA. Fermented at 64-66. Wanted it lower, but it was the coolest I could get in my place. Came out perfect as far as fermentation goes.

Back