Imperial IPA Recipe Sanity Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eonsend

Reaction score
Did an all citra IPA a short while ago that turned out amazing, so now I'd like to do a big ol' Imperial IPA to dazzle my hophead friends.

Any suggestions on the recipe are greatly appreciated!

Imperial IPA
Batch Size: 5 gal
estimated ABV: 10%
O.G: 1.085 F.G: 1.010
Estimated IBU: 142
Color: 9.5 SRM

14 lb US 2 Row
1 lb Crystal 60L
1 lb Table Sugar (after high krausen)

1 oz Warrior FWH
1 oz each of Cascade, Centennial, and Simcoe
@ 20, 10, 5, 0 minutes
1 oz each of Cascade, Centennial, and Simcoe
dry hop 7 days

Starter of WLP001 California ale

Mash 90 minutes @ 149
60 Minute Boil
4 week primary then into bottles

Looks great! I'd probably swap out the cascade for Citra if you liked that hop in your other beer. But that's a personal preference thing. I find Citra, Centennial and Simcoe to be an awesome combination.

Just thought of another question, how long does this have to condition in the bottle? I assume that I shouldn't wait too long or the hop aroma will fade right?

This is very similar to my IIPA. I usually achieve final gravity around day 14. Bottle condition for a week @65-70, chill in fridge for a week (if I can wait that long) and enjoy the hop punch to the face

So you are literally using a pound of hops in a 5 gallon batch? More power to ya, but it seems a bit overkill. I'm not sure you are going to taste any difference between 12 oz and 16 oz.

Looks awesome! I've used a pound of hops for an APA before (late additions mostly). I hardly think this is overkill in a DIPA. In fact, I would use more than 3 oz of dry hops in a DIPA.

^ He could probably cut out the 20 Minute addition and apply those hops to a 2nd dryhop.

I do typically use a pound of hops in my IIPA 5G batches. The clone recipe for Pliny calls for a pound as well IIRC.

"I do typically use a pound of hops in my IIPA 5G batches. The clone recipe for Pliny calls for a pound as well IIRC"

It's your beer, so obviously make it how you want. I'd bet good money that 99.9% of the population could never tell 16 oz from 15oz. It's kinda like making a 200 IBU beer. You literally can't taste anything in that bitterness range.

"I do typically use a pound of hops in my IIPA 5G batches. The clone recipe for Pliny calls for a pound as well IIRC"

It's your beer, so obviously make it how you want. I'd bet good money that 99.9% of the population could never tell 16 oz from 15oz. It's kinda like making a 200 IBU beer. You literally can't taste anything in that bitterness range.

16oz from 15oz? Wow that's a strong statement you're making. LOL. It's not about IBUs it's about late boil/finishing/dryhops. All I know is I like it, and since I'm not brewing it for profit and buy my hops in bulk, I'll spend the extra dollar a gallon and not look back.

Back