Imperial Campfire S'more Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZEDEH

Reaction score
So I'm going to try this out tomorrow, first attempt of writing a recipe from scratch.

Grains
--------
3 lbs. dark LME
1lbs. roasted barley
1lbs briess chocolate malt
1lbs biscuit malt
1lbs flaked wheat oats
.5lbs roasted malt

Hops
---------
1oz Kent Gold:60
1oz chinook:15

Additions
---------
1 lbs wildflower honey - 8oz at 60, 8oz at 15
8oz light brown sugar - caramelized with corn syrup added at 30
80z corn syrup
8oz coco powder split 4 oz to 60 min and 40z in secondary

Yeast
---------
Wanted something like WLP037 yorkshire
settled for WLP005 British Ale

Cooking notes
----------
While steeping grains I was going to heat up some light brown sugar and corn syrup in a pan until caramelized. This will help add to the marshmallow flavor. At 60 add first hops, and honey. 30 min add Carmel mixture. At 15 add second hops and last of honey.

Probably going to let this ferment for 14-16 days depending on how it is going maybe earlier if I meet the FG I am looking for.

Will rack to secondary on top of oak, cinnamon sticks, and a cracked vanilla bean and coco powder 4oz.

Hoping this will capture the flavor of a real s'more roasted over an nice fire.

Please let me know what you thing, again this is my first shot at building anything.

Cheers!

Just incase anyone was interested this is turning out very well. Came out at 7.6% abv. Just racked to secondary.

ForumRunner_20131207_110737.jpg

ForumRunner_20131207_110755.jpg

ForumRunner_20131207_110810.jpg

What's the purpose of splitting up the honey additions? I've never seen that before. Good luck and cheers!

How does this compare to Highwater's camp fire stout

Have not had this, and im going to leave it in secondary for quite some time so it can pick up more of the oak flavor and will not know the final result until closer to christmas. May pick this up next time I go by the craft beer store.

Well the idea sounds delicious! Look forward to hearing how it turned out.

Well the idea sounds delicious! Look forward to hearing how it turned out.

Will let you guys know how it turns out. I'm excited. I just got some new kegging equipment and will be building a keezer next weekend. Gonna let this one slow carb in the keg though.

Please do report back on how it turns out! I've thought a bit about trying something similar, but wasn't sure how to create the marshmallow or graham cracker flavors.

Racking to secondary it was already tasted like a young chocolate. Im hoping racking on top of the vanilla and cinnimon will really kick off the gram and mallo flavors.

Awesome!

If this turns out well you'll have to give me permission to try your recipe!

I'm curious about the numbers (ABV, SRM, IBUs, etc.).

Not really sure how to calc any of those bit the abv. Does beersmith run a pre brew estimation based on grains and hops? Been wanting to get it anyways.

I'd think Beersmith does. I tried the 30 day trial, but it was more in-depth than I was caring for at the time. I use Brewtoad now since it's free and doesn't need to be downloaded.

Okay geat. Im thinking im having attenuation issues or my hydrometer is just reading funky because of all the added sugars, fg os at 1.002 but the beer is not thin at all.

1.002!?!? That's quite low! It seems typical to be around 1.009-1.013 for an average strength (4.9-5.5% ABV). To get that low you'd either have used some super yeast or had a low gravity beer, unless your hydrometer is indeed off.

Have you checked the calibration of your hydrometer?

It may be closer to that. 1.009 I just did a quick test. Was being rushed, christmas shopping ughhh. I will get some more acurate numbers in a few weeks.

Okay so just put this on the keg today. Got a solid FG bringing the abv to 6.61%. Tasted a bit of it and the cinnamon did not come through at all, but the vanilla, chocolate and toasty flavors were dead on. Body is a little lacking, wondering how it will taste carbed and chilled.

Will get more accurate numbers along with some tasting notes next week.

I scanned through for the amount of cinnamon you used and just saw racking onto sticks.

Maybe powdered cinammon in the boil would have brought it out more.

Was it s'more like to you?

The recipe sounds great!

I put a cinnamon stick in my xmas beer and I've found the stick seems to work better than the powder. I put it in with 20-15 minutes left in the boil and I can detect a hint of it in the final product. I also use ginger to help with the spicy aspect of it. However, the beer I use cinnamon in doesn't have vanilla, chocolate, or oak in it so I'm not sure if this method would translate as well. Just thought I'd add my experience; hope it helps!

Back