Imperial Amber recipe feedback please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFox

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After trying out Clown Shoes Eagle Claw Fist Imperial Amber I've decided that I'd like to make a beer of that style. Further I thought it would be fun to have a go at creating my own recipe, taking into account the info they provide about Eagle Claw Fist. Here is what I've come up with (all numbers from BeerSmith):

Imperial Amber
All grain
OG: 1.077
FG: 1.016
ABV: 8.09%
IBUs: 50.1
Color 16.4 SRM

Efficiency 60%

Malt:
17 lbs 13 oz (90.2%) UK 2-row 3.0 SRM
1 lb 14 oz (9.5%) Crystal 60
1 oz (0.3%) Black Patent

Hops:
.5 oz Centennial - 60 min (14.2 IBUs)
1 oz Centennial - 10 Min (10.3 IBUs)
1 oz Citra - 10 min (12.3 IBUs)
1 oz Simcoe - 10 min (13.4 IBUs)

Yeast
US-05

Mash at 152° for 60 min, batch sparge

This isn't meant to be a clone, just inspired by Eagle Claw fist. That being said, does this look reasonable for an Imperial Amber. Anything obvious I should change? In Particular, is that amount of Black Patent going to be too much? I know it is pretty powerful.

Also, I wasn't sure about the IBUs, I like hops, but this isn't supposed to be an IPA. I'm considering eliminating the 60 minute addition.

Also considering subbing Marris Otter for the UK 2 row.

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions. From there I guess I'll just have to brew it and see how it comes out. :mug:

initial thoughts: that's a lot of crystal malt. a half oz. of centennial at 60 doesn't seem like it would add much bitterness.

I did an Imperial Amber that was inspired by Third Party Candidate (Eagle Claw Fist and Three Heads Loopy split 50/50), but was actually very close in flavor to Great Lakes Nosferatu. I used some biscuit, which added a nice complexity to the beer.

OG of 1.075
13.5# 2-Row
1# Crystal 90
.5# Biscuit

I bittered with Centennial and used Simcoe, Cascade and Amarillo for flavor and aroma. I got up to 75 or 80 IBU. I don't have my brew notebook at the moment so I don't remember what the schedule was, but the beer turned out fantastic. I will be be brewing it again this winter.

I like the idea of the two row and the biscuit combo. Thanks for that! I might go with that grain bill and adjust my hop additions for more IBU's, might just go to all late additions.

Back