Imperial A24 Dry Hop in Session IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthPhillyBr3w3r

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting a 5.5 gallon Session IPA with an OG of 1.049, and am using Imperial's A24 Dry Hop, combo of Sacc Trois and Conan. After 24-36 hours at 68'F, a nice krausen had formed, so I added my bio-transformation dry hop (1.75 oz Citra, 1.5 oz Cascade). By the following morning, the krausen had all but dissipated and the airlock activity had ceased. I know that airlock activity is not a good indicator of yeast activity, and I haven't taken an FG reading yet, since I want it to have a full week in the primary. All of this being said, everything I have read says this is a beast of a yeast combo which ferments like crazy.

I am curious if it is possible that the yeast had fully consumed the sugars in the wort after only 48-60 hours at 68'F? I'm not going to bother it, as I want the yeast to be able to clean up after itself and the dry hops to steep. I just think its insane that a yeast could eat all of the sugar out of a 5.5 gallon 1.049 OG wort in such a short time, and I also find it unlikely that the oils from a dry hop charge could kill a yeast blend called "DRY HOP" (FWIW: the ideal temp range for this yeast is 64-74'F).

I once used the White Labs San Diego super yeast on an IPA and its was done, at final gravity, in less than 48 hours. That fermentation was explosive, though.

On another tack, though, what do you mean by bio-tranformation dry hop? I'm not familiar.

It is a beast. I just used it in my NEIPA and activity was complete within 3 days. The Imperial Yeasts have 200 billion cells, so they go to work very quickly. If you have the ability to control temperature, bump it up to 70 or 72 and let it finish out for a few days.

B
I once used the White Labs San Diego super yeast on an IPA and its was done, at final gravity, in less than 48 hours. That fermentation was explosive, though.

On another tack, though, what do you mean by bio-tranformation dry hop? I'm not familiar.

Biotransformation dry hop is when the dry hop is added just as high Krausen dies down so that linalool and geriniol are converted to Cintronellol by the yeast, to contribute to the "juicy" aroma and flavor.

Back