Immersion wort chiller sprayed water into beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougMedic

Reaction score
Immersion wort chiller sprayed tap water into wort once I started to cool it. Should I re-boil? Or is it fine? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

If it happened right away, I am sure it was still hot enough to kill any nasties.
If it happened toward the end of cooling I probably still wouldnt do anything besides keep calm.

Either way I cant see it hurting.

Good Luck.

I appreciate the fast response. That's what I get for trying to blast the water through. Now it's a slow trickle and doing fine. I initially restarted the boil but figured if it's gonna happen it'll happen. And it was at the start of the boil. Now there is a very small intermittent trickle of water. Guess I'll find out in about a month!

+1 to not worrying but tighten those hose clamps! It is a good idea to test your chiller before you put it in your wort.

Yeah. Crappy thing is, I tested it to the right of the stove. When I put it in my pot on the left it kinked a little, and I turned the water up to high. Got a hose leading from spigot outside. I've placed as far to right as possible and straightened out hose. Now just a drip here and there...hopefully that'll be ok :/

I appreciate the fast response. That's what I get for trying to blast the water through. Now it's a slow trickle and doing fine. I initially restarted the boil but figured if it's gonna happen it'll happen. And it was at the start of the boil. Now there is a very small intermittent trickle of water. Guess I'll find out in about a month!

No problem. I feel like something random like this happens to me every time

Been there done that and the beer turned out fine. Recently added a second hose clamp on both hose ends and that had worked much better.

Happened to me on my first batch and diluted the 5 gallon batch by a half gallon! I had no infection but obviously lowered my OG.

It'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks. My OG was 1.62. On the lower end of what was expected. Looking good in the closet though!

You joined a large club my friend. Most IC users have experienced this at one time or another. The ICs with barbed fittings soldered on the inlets and outlets are the best kind. The ones with hoses clamped right to the copper, when the copper, tubing and clamps heat up...can spring a leak. You can tighten them while the IC and tubing is hot, but if you go overboard you can crush the tubing and you'll never get a clean fit. If you can sweat a copper fitting, I recommend buying some barbxbarb fittings that fit your copper and your tubing, and soldering them on yourself.

What do you use on the outlet side? I searched but couldn't find a sharkbiteXbarb fitting. Then again, I have found HD's online search tool to be nearly useless.

Originally, I just double hose clamped the outlet hose to the copper but then I liked the sharkbite fitting so much that I bought another one for the outlet side and I just use the end of an old garden hose that had sprung a leak for the outlet side.

Latest posts

Back