Immersion Chiller help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeerguy

Reaction score
I made an immersion chiller with 50' of 3/8 copper refrigeration tubing. I just have a couple issues.

I never have been able to use it because I bought compression fittings for the ends and they always leak. I went through 6 different compression fittings and same problem with all of them. After each attempt I cut back the tubing to rule out a bad spot or bad cut in the actually copper. I tried tighting hand tight then maybe a quater turn with a wrench. That leaked so I tried tightening until it stopped, but it just got worse. I have used compression fittings before (with good success) and I just don't know what the issue is.

I was wondering if I could just hose clamp some vinyl tubing on the end of the copper and just get fittings for the vinyl tubing. That way even if they leak it wont be so close to the wort, and I don't have to worry about all that water dripping into it. Do they make vinyl tubing that can withstand the heat?

Any info would be appreciated. I get tired of using 5-6 bags of ice to cool down the wort.

Thanks! :mug:

The tube you have used will be very soft as it is in it's annealed state so it can be bent. I think that you can buy inserts that strenghten the area that the compression fitting goes, just like they do for plastic pipe compression fittings.

I used 1/2" copper pipe ( see "massive wort cooler" in the DIY section ) and standard hose pipe fits straight on. I haven't even fitted any clamps and it seems to work fine just pushed on....we will see..

Yes, I forgot to mention that the compression fittings had the inserts. I tried half with, and half without and still had leaking issues.

Are the ends going to be submurged in the wort? If they aren't, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to put plastic tubing for the input. The exit might be warm, but you could always set the pot in the sink and point the output at the drain. ;)

The problem with direct clamping is that the output gets pretty hot and it makes the tubing soft. Once that happens, the clamp digs in and makes a mess. It works but you have to periodically unclamp, cut the end off and reclamp.

You must know someone with a propane torch. Sweating garden hose fitting on is ideal.

The problem with direct clamping is that the output gets pretty hot and it makes the tubing soft. Once that happens, the clamp digs in and makes a mess. It works but you have to periodically unclamp, cut the end off and reclamp.

You must know someone with a propane torch. Sweating garden hose fitting on is ideal.

Yeah I might have to go that route. It beats fighting with this thing constantly.

i have the cheapest ace vinyl tubing hose clamped on my chiller. works great. just don't kink it when it hot. the compression ferrule can usually be only used once. you slide the nut on, then the ferrule, then insert into female and tighten until snug. its not a lug nut on your car doing 130mph!

also as far as designs:

mine is 2x25ft 3/8" m grade. one is wrapped arround a 5# co2 bottle. the other a 20# co2 bottle. this is for a keggle. i have the inlet on the small coil at bottom and the large coil at top. to theroretically cool the entire keggle more evenly. at the moment both inlets are bridged as are the exhausts. it shouldn't choke since both tube lengths are within 6 inches.

I didn't trust compression fittings on the soft tubing, so I used 1/2" to 3/8" copper reducers soldered to the chiller and bought 3 ft of stiff copper or inout /output. I put a 1/2 to 3/4 adatper on the input side attached a 3/4 brass hose fitting to that. the outlet is tubing with hose clamp works great. The water out ins't that hot on mine.

Built my chiller after reading here on what all to do. Thank you all for all of the good info!!! Made short work of it. What a difference it makes on cooling the wort!!!! I can't figure why I didn't do this earlier, It damn sure cuts the chilling to pitching time greatly!!!!! I highly recommend new brewers (like me) invest in this!!! It is worth every penny!!! No more bags of ice to buy. No more using a wheel barrel full of ice and running water to fit a 15 gallon brew kettle in. No more having to worry about spills!!! New Brewers build it you will thank yourself for it everytime you brew! Again thank you all for all of the good information again!!!!

I just rock the plastic vinyl tubing with hose clamps.... Done countless batches with them and never had a problem. Well, except when the hose clamp came loose and I got sprayed in the face with the hot side of the heat exchanger.... DOH

Back