Immersion Chiller Build Disaster - Need Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
I bought a 10" concrete form tube to help me build an immersion chiller (3/8 x 50') and it was harder this I thought to form the tube.

The copper didn't form directly to the tube and now I have a coil that will not fit in my brew kettle.

I thought about using a paint can to try to re- form the coil. Not sure if that will work.

I wanted to make it a 10" diameter so I could stir the sort and get a more even chill.

How can I salvage this?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1442071986.236538.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1442071998.492174.jpg

Does your swmbo garden? U could use one of those pots to wrap the cool around

I had a similar problem. It makes the process infinitely easier if you have a helping hand. I'd really recommend it.

I screwed mine up but was able to "straighten" it out a little bit and reform it to a 1/6 barrel keg (about the same size as a corney keg). It wasn't easy, I can tell you that.

This is what I would do:
Put the coil back around that tube you used to form it.
Have someone hold that tube while you pull on one end of the coil
This will "straighten" it out a bit, but it won't be perfect
Coil the straightened end around a new cylinder (the paint can might be too short for the entire coil to fit)
It helps if you can anchor the starting end of the coil to something so it doesn't move as you wrap the tube around the cylinder

It will take some time to do this.

I was able to salvage mine and this is how it turned out. It's not perfect but it works.

chiller.jpg

Think I have a solution. The Home Depot by me has 8" concrete form tubes in stock. That should enable me to get it down small enough.

I had a similar problem. It makes the process infinitely easier if you have a helping hand. I'd really recommend it.

I screwed mine up but was able to "straighten" it out a little bit and reform it to a 1/6 barrel keg (about the same size as a corney keg). It wasn't easy, I can tell you that.

This is what I would do:

Put the coil back around that tube you used to form it.

Have someone hold that tube while you pull on one end of the coil

This will "straighten" it out a bit, but it won't be perfect

Coil the straightened end around a new cylinder (the paint can might be too short for the entire coil to fit)

It helps if you can anchor the starting end of the coil to something so it doesn't move as you wrap the tube around the cylinder

It will take some time to do this.

I was able to salvage mine and this is how it turned out. It's not perfect but it works.

Excellent, thanks! This along with the 8" tube should resolve it!

It gets worse. I noticed 3/8 elbow was too big and 3/8 ID hose was too big. Seems the 3/8 OD copper coil I bought from Lowes was actually 5/16. Took it back and bought 60' of true 3/8 OD from hardware store for $58.

Let's see if I can coil it better this time!

I only laugh because I had the same problem when I built mine. I found something smaller to wrap it around and re-wrapped it.

This is more like it!

60'

I did noticed there was manufacturing info stamped into the copper. Shouldn't be an issue with sanitization, should it?

View attachment 303059

View attachment 303013

You want to put your chiller in about 15 minutes before the end of the boil to sanitize, so that won't be an issue. Just watch out for hot water and steam that will shoot out from inside the coil during that time.

Make sure you bend the ends over the edge of the pot and slope them down to prevent any leaking water from getting in the wort.:mug:

This is really important, i see so many people bend the output to 90 degrees or horizontal. This can cause the hose to kink under its own weight and then the drip issue mentioned above.

This is really important, i see so many people bend the output to 90 degrees or horizontal. This can cause the hose to kink under its own weight and then the drip issue mentioned above.

Will do. Appreciate the help!

Back