Imitating wine lables

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThriceIn5Minutes

Reaction score
I'm bottling a barley wine and want to make a lable that mimicks traditional wine lables: the kind where there's a monochrome sketch of a vinyard or chateau in the center with basic print layouts of the brew and bottler. Does anyone know how to achieve that type of effect in the abscence of that particular artistic skill?

Chateau01LafiteRoth-w.jpg

Mitch%20Holloway's%20First%20Wine%20Tasting.jpg

Do you have any sort of photo manipulation software like Photoshop? There are usually plugins/filters that'll turn a picture into something that looks like it was hand-drawn.

GIMP is a free photo manip software and there are tutorials out there on how to achieve the sketched look. Just google it.

Or, you can post a picture on here and maybe someone will be kind enough to do something for you.

I have Photoshop and GIMP, I just don't know much about using the filters to create cool effects like that. I'll google around and look for a tutorial though. Thanks for the advice!

A few rough ideas:

- you will need to use layers, if only to try out different effects
- need to learn about "masks" (a term doing a poor job of depicting the process...) Lotsa tutorials, of varying quality

-Typefaces like that are not that common, be ready to find trade-offs

You can manipulate a photo to look like a pen and ink drawing or pencil sketch. You can than remove the color and use an effect called sepia to get the antique look.

Paint.NET and Gimp are free photo editing software you can use to do this. Gimp can do a lot but Paint.NET is more user friendly.

If you post a pic of something you'd like on the label and an example of the text. I would be happy to try and recreate the effect.

regarding the typefaces (font), while you may not be able to get the exact same ones for free, there are a lot of fonts out there that are pretty close to that.

a good source for free fonts is http://www.dafont.com

*edit*
I would look for serifed fonts (i.e. fonts with serif in the name)

See... the thing is that those wines actually come from places that look like that. And it might seem odd to put a picture of some French chateau on your barleywine.

If you could, I'd find a flattering way to photograph my own house and then apply whatever photo modification to make it look like that.

Back