Mei Kuei Lu Chiew--Chinese Rose Wine??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjeanean

Reaction score
Hey, everyone! I've been trying my hand at making homemade lap cheong (Chinese cured sausage) for my celiac-afflicted baby sister, and one of the traditional ingredients is Mei Kuei Lu Chiew. According to Google, this wine is made from sorghum and rose, but I have not been able to find any information on how to make it. Technically, I could buy this stuff from my local Asian market, but it's very difficult to determine if a particular type is gluten free--easiest proven way is to use my sister as a guinea pig (typical use for a younger sibling), but the explosive effects of gluten make her a *little* hesitant to agree to this plan.

Anyway, I'd love to know if anyone here has a recipe and instructions for a basic batch of Mei Kuei Lu Chiew, or if some of the experts can throw some hypothetical ideas out for me to try. I have no freaking clue how to ferment sorghum into wine--do I need meal? An extract? Something else...? How would rose be added to a brew--make a tea and toss it in as flavoring at the end? Ferment some petals with the sorghum? No idea, so any help would be much appreciated!

I can't verify the process you speak of but I have used rose hips in polish beer making. It gives off a hop like bitterness. I've made wine using plain sugar and a bunch of rose petals from my garden that came out pretty decent but just tasted like rose so it was kind of boring. I didn't look up a recipe. I'm sure it needed acids and maybe tannin to balance it.
I'm interested in this topic. Eastern medicinal treatments don't get the attention they deserve.

As for the Sorghum I'm betting on Amalayse. Chinese use it like crazy to extract fermentibles

Thanks! I'm definitely hoping to put something together soon. Any idea as to the form of sorghum that would be used? Meal vs syrup? Might be a dumb question lol!

Well like I said I wouldn't know with sorghum but I assume it's similar to other wheats where you convert the ground up germ to fermentables.
The rose petal wine I boiled the petals, an arbritrary amount that seemed right, and added sugar to an SG of I believe 1.080 and used D47. It was just a gallon to test and it needed to age a few months after racking. I always ferment the same temp. I keep my house at a constant 70 degrees and ferment in the pantry that has no temp variation.
The rose hips I split in half and added to the boil in the last 15 minutes.
All that said, I've never heard of that wine and plan to take a trip now to the Asian market by me. They sell Amalayse super cheap too.

Keep in mind no rose petal is alike. Acidity in the soil and rose type all make a difference. I have both heavy scented and decorative roses. I used a combination of 12 different roses.

Back