IMC into HERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewmedic23

Reaction score
So I am upgrading equipment and just ran into a few kegs. I am going to convert one them into a keggle HLT and MLT. I have a habit of going all or nothing so I think I am going to try and get a HERMS setup going too. My question is can I use my copper IWC and the HERMS coil and save a few bucks?
I am also going to use a heating element for my HLT with a temp controler (rather than gas) for the best temp control. Any pointers?

**typo on the title, shoud be IWC. I had a few beers while writing this post

I put my IC on double duty as a HERMS coil, but the caveat is that my coil is 3/8" copper (1/2" OD). The larger diameter makes recirculation pretty smooth.

I run my sparge water through the HERMS coil which takes care of most of the wort, and I am confident the chilling water rinses out the rest, so things are pretty clean before the next brew day. The HERMS is pre-boil anyway, so just about anything left behind will be killed during the boil.

It has worked great for me, and I am sure it will work for you too.

I like how you run your sparge through the coil to clean it. Good idea. I am going to start construction of my 3 keg system soon and I think it is going to work out well

Latest posts

Back