I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what sort of mash tuns have you who brewed it used? i've got a ten gallon rubbermaid drink cooler, and iirc my last 23 lb grain bill barley fit in there... i might be doing two separate mashes, after i make my little brother grind all the grain. :D

This is my 80qt MLT with the grains+mash water+mashout= right to the top.

MVC-780S.JPG

the more i think about it, brew day might start two hours earlier tomorrow, and two mashes are gonna be employed... i'll see how it looks with half the grains in the tun first.

Mine was a full ten days of vigorous fermentation.

I'm coming up on one month this weekend, so it will be time to rack off of the yeast cake and stash in the corner...to be forgotten for a few months.

I will of course need to draw a few ounces to test... :p
Just brewed my 09-09-09 today. Got a 1.122 gravity from 26.5 lbs of malt and the 1 1/2 lbs of table sugar. Made a 1 1/2 gallon starter on Thursday from an XL pack of 1056 to brew 3 different beers. Used a 1/2 gal for the Barleywine and it now has a 1" head and is vigirously fermenting right now only 4 hours after pitching. It's in a 7 gal carboy but I'll still need to keep an eye on it.

Just brewed my 09-09-09 today. Got a 1.122 gravity from 26.5 lbs of malt and the 1 1/2 lbs of table sugar. Made a 1 1/2 gallon starter on Thursday from an XL pack of 1056 to brew 3 different beers. Used a 1/2 gal for the Barleywine and it now has a 1" head and is vigirously fermenting right now only 4 hours after pitching. It's in a 7 gal carboy but I'll still need to keep an eye on it.
My 09-09-09 Barleywine had an inch of foam on it after four hours and was fermenting very actively. Today it has over 3 inches of foam and I just moved that and the ESB to the basement to ferment, it's 66 degrees down there, much better than the 74 deg upstairs.

The first of my two 9-9-9 barleywines is in the secondary. Brewed my smoked 9-9-9 on Aug 8th. Racked to a keg today. OG 1.115 and is now sitting at FG 1.026 (11.72%).

In two more weeks I will rack the second 9-9-9 and then forget about both of them for several months.

it's in the fermentor. 1.100-1.110... it's in between the two scales, i can't be arsed to dial it in...

long ass brew session, started at 0800 this morning, and i'm getting ready to pitch now.

the two mashes went off w/o a hitch, and i've got some soon(year or so) to be tasty barley wine ready to go.

thanks for the great recipe brewpastor, this is gonna be good.

With 58 people participating in the swap, 34 are currently confirmed having brewed and 24 have yet to confirm. That's a 58.6% confirmation rate thus far. It's still pretty early in the game though.

35 confirmed for a rate of 60.3% counting uglygoat

Well, I'm delayed at least another week. Too much fall cleaning around the house, plus wiring issues with my grain mill motor. Might have to find a different motor?? :(

In how many years? :mad::(

it's just a good karma slogan for the brownies this year. last year was season of dreams and we went 10-6... obviously, they got a huge hill to climb....

...and, my barley wine has half an inch of slimy safale-05 growing on the surface a scant six hours later!!!! :D

I don't do the football thing (waiting for hockey season to kick off) so I'll have to resort to a post about my barleywine.. :mug:

Just checked the gravity and it's down to 1.016... Giving me 12.5% and one hell of whiskey taste.. WOW. I do hope this stuff mellows as much as everyone says. It's pretty good and has changed alot in just 6 weeks, but you can tell it's got a long ways to go.. :drunk:

Anyway, back to the football.. :D

Checked the SG on mine today, its down to 1.023. From starting at 1.120 thats about 12.9 percent alcohol and it definately tasted like it. It will be interesting to see how this beer changes as it ages.

Any difference in using WLP001 vs WY1056 on this brew? Or even a dry US-05?

I have both 001 and US05 on hand but no 1056...

All three yeasts should produce a similar profile / result. It is believed that they're all three the same strain.

Brew Tracking as of 9/29

Once you've completed your brew session, PM me so I can track the progress of all the participants.

Here's what I have so far. If I've missed your session, let me know.

I've removed individuals who have been absent from HBT for four weeks or more.

Alamo_Beer - (Brewed 8/16)
Amiaji - (Brewed 9/8)
Beerrific - (Brewed 9/6)
beerthirty - (Brewed 9/7)
BierMuncher - (Brewed 8/27)
Bike N Brew
Brewpastor
Brewsmith
BuffaloSabresBrewer
CBBaron - (Brewed 9/19)
chriso
conpewter – (Brewed 8/24)
Couevas – (Brewed 8/4)
DeathBrewer
deathweed – (Brewed 8/26)
Displaced MassHole
Doog_Si_Reeb - (Brewed 9/7)
eddie - (Brewed 8/31)
EdWort
Evan!
EvilTOJ - (Brewed 9/8)
FSR402 - (Brewed 9-7-08)
Glibbidy
hagbardceline
Hagen – (Brewed 8/23)
HarvInSTL
jds
jfrizzell
jmulligan - (Brewed 9/13)
Kai
Kilted Brewer - (Brewed 7/13)
KingBrianI - (Brewed 9/6)
korndog - (Brewed 9/23)
Liquidicem - (Brewed 9/1)
MikeFlynn74 - (Brewed 9/28)
mmb
MNBugeater - (Brewed 9/6)
mrkristofo
Mustangj - (Brewed 9/21)
nealf - (Brewed 9/14)
niquejim - (Brewed 9/29)
olllllo - (Brewed 9/7)
Ooompa Loompa
Pirate Ale - (Brewed 9/6)
Ridemywideglide - (Brewed 8/31)
Saccharomyces - (Brewed 9/13)
SporkD2 - (Brewed 9/4)
Stratotankard - (Brewed 9/13)
TerapinChef
TexLaw (Brewed 9/21)
the_bird
uglygoat - (Brewed 9/28)
Warrior = (Brewed 9/27)
wedge421
wildwest450 - (Brewed 9/12)
xiang – (Brewed 8/26)

I'm a little scared about this beer. Gravity samples have been more drinkable straight from the primary than some of my beers have been after 3 weeks in the bottle. After hearing about everyone's 999 needing some aging, I'm wondering if mine will have peaked before a year is up?

I'm a little scared about this beer. Gravity samples have been more drinkable straight from the primary than some of my beers have been after 3 weeks in the bottle. After hearing about everyone's 999 needing some aging, I'm wondering if mine will have peaked before a year is up?

Unless you REALLY missed the OG you wont have to worry.
I had a trippl that was good after 3 weeks in the bottle, a month later tasted like jet fuel, a year later was great. A heavy young beer can cover up a lot.

Been sitting for 2.5 weeks and only down to 1.035. I guess I need to warm it up and give it a swirl. The samples are tasty awesome!

Been sitting for 2.5 and only down to 1.035. I guess I need to warm it up and give it a swirl. The samples are tasty awesome!

Depending on your mash, you may not get much lower.
It will be good regardless, even if it doesn't fall those last few points:mug:

Hmm... it has almost been a month, I should do a SG reading. Oh yea I broke my goddam sample tube! :mad:

A beer this big is bound to finish high. Mine started at 1.128 and finished at 1.038 for an ABV of 11.79%.

I decided to take a sample from my barleywine last night. It was still very cloudy and had plenty of matter and some foam floating on the surface so I had trouble getting a reading. It was however under 1.030 so this one dried out nicely. The sample tasted pretty good if you could get past the "texture". This beer is going to take some time but I think its going to be real good.

Craig

a year will do wonders for this beer. two or three even more. i still have a thick krausen and stuff swirling all over the place four days after pitching.

My has been a month in the primary. Took a reading last night and it was 1.044. This did sit in a cooler room the last couple weeks at about 62-64. I moved it to a warmer environment, 68-70 and swirled the yeast up from the bottom. So im hoping it drops another 10 points, but I suspect that is wishful thinking.

Still dont plan on bottling this until mid-late October.

My has been a month in the primary. Took a reading last night and it was 1.044. This did sit in a cooler room the last couple weeks at about 62-64. I moved it to a warmer environment, 68-70 and swirled the yeast up from the bottom. So im hoping it drops another 10 points, but I suspect that is wishful thinking.

Still dont plan on bottling this until mid-late October.

I don't plan on transeferring to the secondary until then. The bottle won't come until sometime next year.

Craig

I transferred mine to secondary last night, after 3.5 weeks in the primary. It had dropped to 1.022, putting it at 10.7%. I drank the hydrometer sample plus a little more that I let settle out. It is pretty rough around the edges right now, but I can see that this one will blend into a very fine brew over the next 11 months.

I'll have to submit this one for next year's state fair competition! :rockin:

EDIT: FYI, I fermented this on a 1056 yeast cake. Wicked attenuation for 1056!

After nearly a couple weeks, I still have a little activity in there. In one of the few ways I actually stuck with the original recipe, I shot for in OG around 1.100 and got just that. With the WL Pacific Ale yeast I used, I am looking for my FG around 1.030. I'll check the SG when I rack in another week or so. It sure does smell nice!

TL

After nearly a couple weeks, I still have a little activity in there. In one of the few ways I actually stuck with the original recipe, I shot for in OG around 1.100 and got just that. With the WL Pacific Ale yeast I used, I am looking for my FG around 1.030. I'll check the SG when I rack in another week or so. It sure does smell nice!

TL

Mine dropped to 1030 after two weeks and then only dropped another 2 points the next two weeks.

She's a gonna be a sweet one... :D

Mine is at 1.021 after 13 days. Say, are the US05 guys getting more attenuation in this beer than 1056ers? Just curious. I used 3 packs of Safale 05 in mine.

IMG_02071.jpg

I know this is REALLY off topic and I'm probably going to get flamed here but....

I've only had Barleywine once (Sierra Nevada, Bigfoot) and I almost hated it. Is this considered a good barleywine, or did I just have a bad experience...

Mine is at 1.021 after 13 days. Say, are the US05 guys getting more attenuation in this beer than 1056ers? Just curious. I used 3 packs of Safale 05 in mine.

I used 2 packs of US-05 and was around 1.028 after 7 days with a big krausen still; I haven't checked it since then.

I've only had Barleywine once (Sierra Nevada, Bigfoot) and I almost hated it. Is this considered a good barleywine, or did I just have a bad experience...

I think I tried Bigfoot, and was so-so on it, but it was a while ago and I don't recall exactly. I had some Flying Dog Horn Dog last night, and was not impressed - far too sweet, and still tastes young. They say they only age it 3 months before selling, so that could be why. But it was quite sugary-sweet. Had no discernible hop presence either.

Back