Im stuck help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbeer22

Reaction score
So I pitched my yeast into my fermenter 12 days ago my OG was 1.050 I went out of town and came back 3 days ago checked the gravity and it's steady at 1.020. What should I do? Shake it up, pitch more yeast or just leave it alone?

Was it an extract kit? What yeast did you use? A little more info would be helpful

8 1/2 lb 2 row
1/2 lb crystal 20
1/2lb Munich
1/2 carapils
1oz amarillo
White labs California ale yeast

Well being its all grain i would say you may be stuck. Maybe we could get yoopers input on this

I maintained 153 mash and my fermentation temp has been a steady 70

Check the accuracy of the thermometer you used in the mash. Also, with the additional malts (above the 2 row) the yeast simply could have fermented all it can.

Was the fermenting beer temp been at 70F, or was the room it was in at 70F? Depending on the age of the yeast you pitched, if you didn't make a starter, you could have under-pitched. What oxygenation method did you use?

I wouldn't shake it at all (shaking is bad, mmkay). IF anything a gentle swirl might rouse some of the yeast. But you also could simply have fermented what's available in the batch. Give it another week, or two, check it again and then bottle/keg it up.

Back