I'm leaving a LOT of beer in the brew kettle--help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4. Line my fermenter bucket with a paint strainer bag purchased from the hardware store.
5. Dump the boiled, chilled wort into the fermenter bucket.
6. lift the paint strainer bag to drain. It captures all the hop trub.

+1 I mash in paint bag then line fermenter with it to filter out hops and whatever else. I squeeze this bag, too, because there is a lot of liquid left.

First, do you have a ball valve on your pot? That eliminates problems with clogged siphons. I have a tube filter attached to mine, then run it through a screened funnel - it keeps out chunks, but lets wort and presumably trub through. I figure that anything not in solution should be filtered out, if possible. I find that the hops (leaf) act as a kind of first filter - I just tilt the pot at the end and get every bit.
I'm going to make a wild guess - you use pellet hops, right? They create an ooze/cloudiness that leaf hops don't.
There's no way you should lose more wort than the few ounces soaked into the hops - that's beer, man! Horrible things happen to people who waste that stuff - like running out of beer, for instance.

I poured my brew kettle whole hog through a common kitchen collender until I bought a 30 gallon pot and installed a bazooka screen today...:) Its a great way to aerate too!
Trub won't hurt your beer as long as you ferment in primary for at least 2 weeks, and move it into a secondary fermenter, your beer will be clear. Don't throw out 2 gallons of beer! :)

I use irish moss last 15 minutes of the boil, dump it all in the fermenter. If I am using medium flocculent yeast its clear but with a little haze to it. High flocculant yeast comes out very clear.

Just remember, Beer is like Sex. The worst I ever had was pretty good!

I use irish moss last 15 minutes of the boil, dump it all in the fermenter. If I am using medium flocculent yeast its clear but with a little haze to it. High flocculant yeast comes out very clear.

Just remember, Beer is like Sex. The worst I ever had was pretty good!
:off:

Brewed some beer with water from a garden hose, and it was duly named Garden Hose IPA/Garden Hose Hef.

Using your analogy, I don't think Sex with a garden hose would be very good at all (though I have never tried)! :p

My wort looks like giant egg drop soup as well. Initially I thought I was pulling the trub off the bottom on the kettle. Now I'm thinking that most of the stuff is cold break protein. My counter flow chiller takes me from 200f to 60f instantaneously so I think that precipitates everything out effectively. It all settles pretty quickly and the beer is clear.

I've been brewing for over 5 years and probably brewed 30 batches at this point. No fancy equipment, just the standard 6 gallon boiling pot, plastic bucket fermenters and glass carboys. At the outset (first 5 or 6 batches) I strained out the trub (95% of it at last) and fermented the strained wort. Then I read something somewhere that leaving the trub in was not deterimental to the product. So, I then started leaving it all in (pouring between brew kettle and fermenter to aerate the wort) and it all ends up mixed in the wort in the fermenter. There was absolutely no change in the taste of the resulting brew, certainly nothing deterimental to the taste. The trub settles out after two weeks of fermentation and nothing makes its way into the secondary when the transfer occurs. The resulting brew, after two more weeks of secondary, is very clear everytime (except for the wheat beers of course).

Save the step and the time and don't go to the effort to strain/remove the trub. The resulting brew will be just as good.

Yep, dump it all.
I've got to get myself a good, large funnel with a strainer to help with any hop bits but I don't worry much.
You will see it settle out better in the fermenter and you will get most of your beer that way.
If you are worried about it sitting on that stuff, give it some time and when it's settled out better transfer it to a secondary.

Back