I'm going back to a RIMS and have a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limulus

Reaction score
Greetings Lads,
For a few years, I used a RIMS. But after losing a few elements, I shelved it. I was using a RIMS tube that was made by a vendor who is no longer on the forum or in business. It was priced very nicely, but was not a great tube. It was threaded at each end as well as the input and output legs. The threads were also not to spec and required a HUGE amount of teflon tape to stop leaks which is a problem compounded to infinity when you are using electricity. As you can probably imagine, it was not easy to clean either.

For my new setup, I am going to buy a tube from Bobby M at BrewHardware.com. I've always had good results with the things I've purchased from him. Plus he is in Jersey and shipping from there to ATL is always quick. My previous system used a 1500-watt 120v element. That was controlled by an Auber WS1500C Sous Vide controller that I bought just for my RIMS. The specs on that model:
Max Power Load
120VAC = 1800w
220VAC = 3200w
Max Current - 15A
That model has since been updated by Auber and now has better specs.

Question for you electrical gurus:
Am I better off with a 120v 1500w ultra low density element or something like 5500w 220v model? Doing some simple math tells me that the 1500w is better than converting 5500w down to 120v. But, I'm sure there is probably something else to consider.

In case anyone is curious, this is what the old tube looks like. I was using camlocks which have been removed and put into service elsewhere.

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

The 5500W 240V element will yield 1375W at 120V. Which element is longer? Since both elements are going to be very close in wattage when supplied with 120V, I would pick the longer of the two in order to have the lowest watt density.

I picked up one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PSB3B2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
for 1500W @ 120V. It fits nicely in Bobby's 18" RIMS tube.

Last edited by a moderator:
the 5500w is definitely going to be longer. The 1500w 120v element is ultra low density and about 8" long and would fit in my old tube. The one you referenced is about 15" long and low density, so either one would be okay as far as scorch protection. Another thing I have to decide on is the length I buy from BobbyM. He has two sizes. The shorter one would definitely be easier to mount.

Got my new replacement RIMS tube from BobbyM today and I can confirm that it is far superior to my old one shown in the photo above. This one will be so easy to clean and the welded cam locks are beautiful.

Back