I'm brewing now, need advice on dry hopping technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prost!

Reaction score
I'm brewing an IPA now (call it IPA 2). It's an extract brew, steeping grains now, 5:10pm EDT. I plan to pitch this batch on the yeast cake of different IPA (let's call it IPA 1) that I'll be moving to secondary in an hour or so. I'm going to dry hop IPA 1 with some Kent Goldings pellets.

Here's the question: What if I take the hop bag form the kettle at the end of the brew with the hops pellets from IPA 2, add the new Kent Goldings to the bag and put it on the secondary with IPA 1? Has anyone tried this? Kind of wet/dry hopping.

The way I see it I'll have:
2 ozs of Horizon that have boiled for 60 minutes
2 ozs of Columbus that have boiled for 5 minutes
2 ozs of Columbus that have boiled for 1 minute
2 ozs of new Kent Goldings

Is there any benefit or disadvantage to using the already boiled hops? Are they totally spent? Will I ruin IPA 1?

Any advise within an hour or so is appreciated. Thanks.

Dry hopping mainly adds aroma and those oils are gone from the boiled hops. You might get a little from the columbus, but I won't count on it.

Yeah, I wouldn't count on getting anything good from them. I'm not sure there's anything left in them that would add any flavor components to your beer, but if there were I'm sure they wouldn't be desirable.

david_42 said:
Dry hopping mainly adds aroma and those oils are gone from the boiled hops. You might get a little from the columbus, but I won't count on it.

That's kinda what I've been thinking. Do you think I'll do any harm by trying this method? I always like to try new things, but I surley don't want to screw a batch up by unknowingly doing anything stupid

No harm but basically pointless.

Throw wome hops in a bag and toss in the secondary. I put the hop bag in some boiling water for a couple minutes myself then add but to each his own.

My biggets problem is forgeto add the dang hops to the secondary!

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
No harm but basically pointless.

Throw wome hops in a bag and toss in the secondary. I put the hop bag in some boiling water for a couple minutes myself then add but to each his own.

My biggets problem is forgeto add the dang hops to the secondary!

I finished about an hour ago. I decided to just use new hops. I steamed my hop bag first this time, only because I also added an oz of French oak chips. I usually just spray a little StarSan on the bag a few minutes before I add hops and chuck it in the secondary. My first time with the oak chips; I'm interested to see how this one comes out. Tasted great when I racked to secondary. Thanks to all for the advise.

Since timing in the clearing tank isn't critical Denny, just add them when you remember. I dryhopped my Bent Rod Rye with 1/2 oz. of cascade for a week, decided that didn't do it & now I have another 1/2 oz. of fuggles and 1/2 oz of EKG in the keg. Another week at this point is just more conditioning.

Yeah, I know. But it's usually as I'm siphoning into the keg that I remember I forgot to dry hop that batch. Especially when you have a number of batches on the go and not all are to be dry hopped. Need to set it as a reminder on my cell phone or something.

Back