IIPA underpitched. What are my options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauzer

Reaction score
Hello all,

I brewed an IIPA and I'm suspecting I'm going to run in to issues with it.

OG is 1.080, which was near target. Target ABV is 7.9%, so FG should be at about 1.020...

Appears to be around 4-4.5 Gal batch

Today (Monday) would be day 8, though it didn't start active fermentation for about 18 hrs or so from pitching.

Used Omega Labs DIPA strain, but just dumped it in, no starter. Temp has held steady at the ideal temps.

The 'plan' as it stands is to keep in Primary until this Thursday (Day 11), transfer to secondary, and begin 12 days of dry hoping (Totally 23 days before bottling). Not letting the additions sit any longer than 4 days, but ideally only 3 days for each part. First addition will be 4 days because I will be away for the long weekend.

first off, yes.. I know I should have done a starter, and even consider 2 packs. I am rectifying this and it won't be an issue ever again. I had planned on this recipe on being my first with a starter, but I didn't have the stir plate, and in part i kind of just forgot about waiting to brew until i had it, and then.. well. here I am like a goof.

But here I am now, what options do I have?

Do I just have to expect off flavors? Can I/should I leave it in the fermentor longer?

Should I maybe leave in Primary over the long weekend instead and then begin the dry hopping, to give it a bit more time? (Giving it 26-27 days before bottling)

Advice, other than i should have used a starter? lol

I think you'll be fine. With a DIPA, any slight off flavors will be covered up by the hops, and since your lag time was only 18 hours, I doubt you grossly underpitched. I'd just wait like normal and carry on as if it all went to plan. I highly doubt the batch is ruined

Dont worry about it. You likely stressed the yeast but I doubt it will be severely underattenuated due to the underpitch. It got rolling and thats all that matters

If anything, you will probably get more of that peach/apricot character that the Conan strain is known for

Thanks for easing my mind a bit guys!

I wouldn't mind more peach/apricot flavor at all!

Back