IIPA Partial Mash Recipe review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trojandux

Reaction score
So I want to do my first IIPA and I was kind of following a Torpedo clone, however I have varied a little and would like some critique. My big question is doing 1lb of corn sugar vs. an additaonal lb of LDME or both :cross:

Scotts IIPA
6lbs LDME
3lbs American 2row
1lb Corn Sugar
11oz Crystal 60

2oz Magnum 60min
2oz Crystal 15 min
1oz Magnum 5min

1oz Citra Dryhop
1oz Crystal Dryhop

Whitelabs 001

Est OG 1.073
Est. IBU 74.8
Est. ABV 7.3%

Thanks Everyone I love the knowledge that always persists on this site

Scott

What's your boil size / batch size / kettle size / specific brand of Light DME / hop alpha% / leaf or pellet?

Magnum is not generally used late in IPAs; however it's a good bittering hop. And Crystal is a very low alpha hop which is not usually used in IPAs (thought it can be done).

There is no true sub for Citra, but Galaxy or Falconers Flight will come close. And not everyone is out of Citra :)

For a 6 gallon boil, 5 gallon batch:

40%, 4 lbs. Muntons Light DME
30%, 3 lbs. Rahr 2-row
20%, 2 lbs. Muntons Light DME (Late addition)
Approx. 6%, 10 ounces Corn Sugar (Late addition)
Approx. 5% 8 ounces Crystal 60

And a rough hop schedule:...

1.5 oz hops @ 60
2.5-3.0 oz. hops @10
2.0-3.0 oz. hops @ flameout
3.0-4.0 oz. hops @ dryhop

scratch that... DOH!!

Which LME are you planning to use?? Also, Liquid Malt Extract=LME; Dry Malt Extract=DME... LME has less sugar percentage than DME does per pound (think about it for a moment, you'll figure out why).

What temperature are you planning to mash at? If possible, you could add more 2 row to the mash and get the OG you want. Or add some DME instead. What size batch are you making? Are you doing to do a full size boil or partial?

Super excited I found some Citra Hops and bought up 2 of the 3 oz he had left durring my lunch at a LHBS.

It is Light Dry Malt Extract which typically I use Briess Golden Light. It will be a 4 gallon Boil, for a 5.5gallon batch. I completly understand about the wisdom teeth extractions (I work in the dental field). I was using the Sierra Nevada Torpedo hop additions.

What temp are you planning to mash the grains at? Grain to water ratio? I would lean more towards mashing more grain then adding sugar to the brew. I know some recipes add sugar to get it a bit dryer in the finish, but (IMO) you can accomplish much the same with a lower temperature mash.

IF I'm going to add any sugars (any kind) to my recipe it tends to be honey. Even then, it's once fermentation is slowing down.

One of the bad things about the tooth extraction is having to eat only soft foods for the first 24 hours and even after that I'm supposed to go for stuff that's still softer (of the choices)... Not to mention the process really flared up my TMJ. :mad: At least I have Vicodin to take care of the pain. :drunk: But I'm not supposed to drink with it... :mad:

I recieved my magnum and Crystal hops today. I got leaf hops and the Magnum are 20.5 AA and the Crystal is 6.5 AA. I adjusted the hop amount according to my calculations to

1.5oz Magnum @ 60min
2.0 oz crystal @15min
0.5oz Magnum @5 min

I will dry hop with 1oz citra, and 1oz crystal.

By the way I have never seen a hop with 20.5 AA untill know, anything I need to know?

This still gives IBU of aprox 75.

Latest posts

Back