Chinook Cascade Magnum IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kwitty

Reaction score
Here is a double IPA I've been working on.

12lbs. Maris Otter
4lbs. Pilsner
1lb. Sugar
2oz Magnum 60min.
.5oz. Cascade 30min.
.5oz. Chinook 30 min.
.75oz. Cascade 15min.
.75oz. Chinook 15min.
1oz. Cascade 0min.
1oz. Chinook 0min.

1oz. Each Dryhop
Cascade & Chinook in primary 5 days
1oz. Each Dryhop
Cascade & Chinook in secondary 5 days

Any thoughts? This is my first over the top hop recipe. Any input is Appreciated. Thanks!

WLP 001

I think the 30-minute Cascade addition is a waste, and the Chinook one might be as well. I'd add those amounts & the flameout additions together for a large hopstand, 180 degrees for 30 minutes or so.

But that's just IMHO.

;)

i think the 30-minute cascade addition is a waste, and the chinook one might be as well. I'd add those amounts & the flameout additions together for a large hopstand, 180 degrees for 30 minutes or so.

But that's just imho.

;)

+1

Agreed. There isnt much "over the top" about the hop schedule except maybe the 2oz at 60min. My IPAs all get just 1oz at 60 and then 14oz or so right at the end. This will have a firm bitterness, but wont explode with hop character like Im guessing you are going for

I think the 30-minute Cascade addition is a waste, and the Chinook one might be as well. I'd add those amounts & the flameout additions together for a large hopstand, 180 degrees for 30 minutes or so.

But that's just IMHO.

;)

Agree. The 30 minute additions are just a waste of hops. You have plenty of bitterness. Move the 30 minute additions to flameout.

Agreed. There isnt much "over the top" about the hop schedule except maybe the 2oz at 60min. My IPAs all get just 1oz at 60 and then 14oz or so right at the end. This will have a firm bitterness, but wont explode with hop character like Im guessing you are going for

For me I guess it's over the top. Most IPAs I've done have 5-6 oz. or less. I wanted something more hop aggressive. To get the explosion you think I should cut back to 1oz. at 60min. and up my late addition/hop stand? How far should I go? I'm still learning.

I've never done a hop stand but I get the theory behind it. My understanding is flame out, add your hops, let it sit until you fall to 180F. Am I missing anything? Should I add more hops to the hop stand? Anyone else think I should cut my bittering hops down to half?

Ok! New plan based on advice from you, my friends in the forum. Same basic recipe with a new hop schedule.

Magnum 1oz at 60min.

30 minute hop stand with.....
4oz of Cascade & 4oz of Chinook.

Dry hop in 2 rounds....

Primary 1oz each Cascade and Chinook.
Secondary 1oz each Cascade and Chinook.

Gets my IBUs just up over 100 and I'm hoping is enough to give me the intense hop flavor and aroma that I want. Still taking advice if anyone has more! Thanks!

I was hoping to get a reply to my new recipe modifications. Nobody willing?

Yeah, I think that looks great. Let us know what you think about the huge hopstand. Ive found it gives such a fresh hop character its like you can taste the nectary resin from the cones. But the finish is so smooth you can drink it like gatorade as opposed to sipping most DIPAs

Yeah, I think that looks great. Let us know what you think about the huge hopstand. Ive found it gives such a fresh hop character its like you can taste the nectary resin from the cones. But the finish is so smooth you can drink it like gatorade as opposed to sipping most DIPAs

Awesome! That's what I was hoping for. Thanks for the advice and the confirmation on my recipe modifications!

Glad you said that. How much? Been thinking about it for awhile.

Back