How's this look? IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saeroner

Reaction score
Some leftover grains and hops trying to get rid of. I actually scaled this up to 6.5 gal... Below is 5 gal

13 2row
11oz munich
4oz cara-pils
3oz crystal 40
2.5oz corn sugar

1st wort
.75oz mag
.75oz centennial

75 min boil.

15 min 1oz centennial

5 min 1ozcentennial

0 min whirlpool
1oz citra
2oz Falconer's flight
.5oz centennial (leftover)

ended up 1.073 OG just like beersmith said.. Mashed at 149

I forgot i had the Falconers hops so will be interesting. Woke up to a volcano in the carboy this morning after 6 hours pitching.

Not sure what to dry hop with...

how much hops did you add at 15 and 5min? I would think youd need a lot more hops to get to normal IPA levels. Id dry hop with as much as you got to get a pungent hop character. Any of those you used would work fine, or any C-american hop

Recipe looks good. I'd dry hop with a bunch (3-4 oz) more Citra and Falconer's Flight. Maybe some Simcoe if you've got it.

The "volcano" part has me a little worried though - what temperature is the fermenting beer at? What temperature was it at when you pitched the yeast? How did you chill the wort? What yeast are you using? If liquid, did you make a starter? If dry, did you rehydrate?

The "volcano" part has me a little worried though - what temperature is the fermenting beer at? What temperature was it at when you pitched the yeast? How did you chill the wort? What yeast are you using? If liquid, did you make a starter? If dry, did you rehydrate?

I usually transfer the wort into a carboy and set it in one of my temp controlled fridges until i get to proper temp. I set the temp probe on the glass wrapped in foam.

1056. Made a 1700ml starter. I always pitch the starter at 65 into the same temp wort. Let the decanted flask sit a few hours with the carboy (controlled fridge) before pitching, then raise 2 degrees right after pitching to 67ish and ride that out for about 3 days. then up to 72.

Thanks

Sounds like it should be fine. I might suggest waiting until at least day 5 before ramping up the temperature, but overall it looks like a sound protocol.

Back