II IPA Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm going to attempt to brew this II IPA recipe I made but I figured I would throw it on here first for people to take a look. Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

9.1 % abv
65.3 IBU
8.8 SRM

12 lb 8 oz Pale Malt (2 row) - 67.57%
4 lb Vienna Malt - 21.62%
1 lb Crystal 20L - 5.41%
0.5 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine - 2.7%
0.5 lb Honey Malt - 2.7%

1.25 oz Simcoe @60
0.75 oc Cascade @40
0.25 oz Cascade @ 30
0.25 oz Cascade @ 20
0.25 oz Cascade @ 10
1 oz Ahtanum @ 5
1 oz Ahtanum @ 2
1 oz Ahtanum @ 1
2 oz Cascade Dry Hop 7 days
2 oz Centennial Dry Hop 7 days

Whirlfloc tab @ 15

Mash at 153 for 60
OG 1.077
FG 1.019

California Ale Yeast (WLP001)

IMHO, I wouldn't use Simcoe as a bittering hop. I would use it more towards the end and use something like chinook or warrior at 60. I would also put all those Ahtanum additions at flamout to get better aroma out of them. However, you don't have to do anything I say and it looks pretty solid :).

IMHO, I wouldn't use Simcoe as a bittering hop. I would use it more towards the end and use something like chinook or warrior at 60. I would also put all those Ahtanum additions at flamout to get better aroma out of them. However, you don't have to do anything I say and it looks pretty solid :).

Thanks for weighing in. I agree with moving the ahtanum hops. I want this beer to have a strong hoppy aroma (Bell's Hopslam one of my favorite beers) so I think I'm also going to drop the cascade at 40 and 30 and focus more on the late addition aroma hops.

When I make IPA's I usually have a 60min addition and then nothin really until about 15 or 20min, a 10min, and then a big 0 min addition. I like really aeromatic IPA's which is why I do this method. I have never had bell's hopslam so I dunno what that tastes like. I would throw the Simcoe in there at the end too.

Do you like a bit more malt in your brews? Just wondering cuz 153 mash temp will give you some malt backbone.

I switched the hop schedule up with some more late additions of Amarillo. Dropped the Ahtanum. I originally had Amarillo in there but my LHBS was out of them. I'll post the revised recipe later when I get home. Don't mind a malty beer but not exactly sure that is what I was going for with this one. I'm considering dropping down the Vienna or maybe cutting it out altogether.

Back