Ignorance is bliss vs. Agh! What have I done!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyOldGit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share my minor panic... I'm on my 3rd brew - simple 5G brown ale extract - and decided to skip my usual primary bucket then secondary carboy and just use a carboy for a few weeks before bottling.

So I've gone from opaque plastic bucket were I just have to wait to a big clear glass bottle that shows everything. Big mistake...

First - "Agh! OMG - how much trub did you siphon in you idiot!?" I've just siphoned it over and the bottom third looks like soup not the beautiful clear wort on top...

Second - "Agh! I've killed the yeast!" It's a 12 hours after pitching (Wyeast 1098 British Ale) and nothing.... I made sure it was stored chilled in the fridge until brew day, warmed it up to 70F/21C and then pitched it, agitated the hell out of the wort in the carboy to get the oxygen mixed in.... and nothing. But the trub has settled down so did I bury my lovely yeasty beasties under that crud...? OK, plan B - come home tonight, mix up a starter batch of Nottingham yeast (I keep a spare random pack of yeast - doesn't everyone?) and re-pitch. Maybe I can rescue this...

Finally - "You beauty!" - I get home tonight ready to start the repitch and the damn thing is burping away. Nice thick krausen on top, rafts of yeast rising and falling, that gentle bread-like smell of hard working yeast, and the sweet sweet sound of yeast farts rattling through the airlock.

Phew! Seems I need to learn some patience - or just go back to hiding it in a bucket for a week...

The beauty of glass. You get to see all of that.

And 12 hours after pitching, particularly if you just pitched the vial or pack, not starter, is not a worry. I don't even get nervous until 36 hours. But I also keep the temp at the low end of the range thus I expect a bit slower start.

Now, go back and watch action as the beer circulates, yeast rises and falls, bubbles rise and the miracle of beer happens.

Indeed, beer will occur. I've still yet to break a batch. Truth be told I don't agitate after adding yeast anyways. I always use liquid / starter / re-hydrated so it's in some form of liquid or sludge. Just dump it in top centre of the fermenter and let them find their own food.

I sympathize with you on this. I brewed/pitched on my Hellfire IIPA about 9/24. It took until the other day to go down to 1.014 from 1.082OG. Rehydrated 2 packets of US-05 for it. 10 days ago Saturday, the 12ozs of hops smelled fruity & a touch of citrus, in an attempt to mimic the flavors of super hot peppers.
Now this is where the fun starts. Saturday, it tasted of band aid & was still very misty, almost cloudy. I said to myself, F'it, I'm gonna go ahead & dry hop/dry pepper now! I pop the pail open, only to find it's clear on top?! So it seems I was tasting trub near the bottom third? Not to mention, all those hop flavors may be gone from waiting for it to clear? Damn...Hoping I'm wrong,...but I don't have high hopes. Not a cheap batch either.:(

Not to mention, all those hop flavors may be gone from waiting for it to clear? Damn...Hoping I'm wrong,...but I don't have high hopes. Not a cheap batch either.:(

Sorry to hear that - I've yet to get the courage up to do an expensive HG batch - I guess once I can happily get from brew to bottle to drinking without thinking I've screwed up at some point I might try a stronger ale.

Indeed, beer will occur. I've still yet to break a batch. Truth be told I don't agitate after adding yeast anyways. I always use liquid / starter / re-hydrated so it's in some form of liquid or sludge. Just dump it in top centre of the fermenter and let them find their own food.

Yep, next time I'll shake up the wort, give it 10 mins to settle and then just pitch the sludge in - though the krausen over the bottom of the cool brewing cooler suggests the yeast is doing just fine.

Back