Igloo Quantum Coolers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHansen6

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade from my 5 gallon round igloo MLT into something larger. I've been looking in the 48qt range. It will suit all of my 5 gallon needs, and allow me to venture into 10 gallons if I desire.

I was actually at Wal-mart looking for a certain 50qt rectangular Coleman Xtreme cooler I had my eye on, but they were of course out of stock all over town. While I was there browsing, I came across one I had never seen before. Igloo has put out the "quantum" series of coolers, about a year ago apparently. They have two models that caught my eye. A 55qt rectangular cooler, and a 52qt cooler with wheels in the back reminiscent of a cube type cooler.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-52-qt-Quantum-Wheeled-Cooler/35679269
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-55-qt-Quantum-Ice-Chest/44438887

I attached some pictures of the interiors. Mostly out of laziness, I would prefer the 55qt, so I could use my current weldless valve, and braided hose or a bazooka. The 52qt is intriguing since the lid is already insulated, a feature the 55qt did not seem to have upon inspection. I don't like the humps, and how high the valve is though. It's at least 3"-4" higher than the majority of the basin, and would require a manifold. I'm worried about dead space if the siphon were to break while lautering too. I suppose I could always drill a hole and put the valve in the front, with a 6" or T-shaped bazooka or use a ring of braided hose.

I've looked and can't seem to have any reference to these being used as mash tuns. Anyone have any experience? There aren't a lot, but several of the reviews as coolers seem generally favorable. Most of the cons were mentions of poor quality wheels or hinges that really don't matter for mashing.

20150709_210229.jpg

20150709_210547.jpg

I just bought one of the 50 quart coolers, using it for the first time tomorrow. I will let you know how it works.

How did your brew day go? I ended up converting a free igloo cooler I got, but am still thinking about these. The converted one doesn't hold heat as well as I'd like.

It worked really well, my only problem was I wish the put a strap on the lid, it likes to fall off. As far as mashing, it held temp for an hour no problem. Mounting the ball valve took a few extra fittings to deal with the deep recess where the drain is located. Overall I thing it is a good cooler for the price!

Latest posts

Back